Exercise

Buncheslae

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello. I've just got two guinea pigs for my children, although I know it's me going to be doing most of the care! They have a nice warm dry hutch and a separate run. My question is how much time should they spend in the run and if it's a bit damp in the mornings do I still put them in the run? Any tips would be gratefully received :)

Hi,

Damp grass isn't great for them, if you wait until it warms up or dries off then they will be fine to put on the grass. In terms of playtime, naturally they love having lots of playtime filled with tunnels and hay boxes etc. Being as they are likely to be young piggies I would introduce them slowly to grass, and let them build up their stomachs at first with 10 mins eating time firstly, and rising slowly every day or other day.

In terms of extra room, if the weather isn't great you can put a run in the house, whether it be a childs ball pit thingy or a separate metal cage top or special bought metal run, frequency: daily.
The words i live by, if its cold for me its the same for them.

Hi,

Damp grass isn't great for them, if you wait until it warms up or dries off then they will be fine to put on the grass. In terms of playtime, naturally they love having lots of playtime filled with tunnels and hay boxes etc. Being as they are likely to be young piggies I would introduce them slowly to grass, and let them build up their stomachs at first with 10 mins eating time firstly, and rising slowly every day or other day.

In terms of extra room, if the weather isn't great you can put a run in the house, whether it be a childs ball pit thingy or a separate metal cage top or special bought metal run, frequency: daily.
The words i live by, if its cold for me its the same for them.
Thank you for this. I've just ordered a play thing for the lounge so will use that too. X

Hi, mine have 3 different areas. A permanent home in my kitchen, an outside run that I can move around our garden, which a swap between grass and paving, I don't put them out on damp or wet grass. They were used to grass when I got them so I didn't have a problem with introducing them to grass, then I have a mat for my lounge so when cold or rainy they can have a change of scenery! Though, both mind. Love their permanent base most! I've popped a few pics on for you xx

20170513_155658.webp

20170803_181952.webp

20170628_214220.webp

Thank you for your reply. I'm slowly learning new things for my little pigs. I bought them an indoor run yesterday which I'm going to try today :)

Back