• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Excessive thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ginge has developed an excessive thirst over the last 3 days. He has never really drunk a huge amount but now seems to be drinking about half his water bottle a day. Ive checked for any leaks and there doesnt seem to be any. I looked at some other websites and they point to diabetes but he hasnt got a wet bottom or lost any weight so could it just be that now its warming up hes extra thirsty?

The other thing that I think it could point to is a urinary tract infection, or kidney problem, so I would get him checked over.

The warmer weather would definitely make him drink more though.

has his intake of dry food gone up? my boys eat quite a lot of dry food/hay and drink 500ml between them every 1-2 days

yeah he does eat alot of dry food and hay. He seems fine in himself, still eating everything i give him so maybe I'm just worrying over nothing. Hes not squeaking or anything when he pees so i dont think its a water infection, but I'm no expert. I think i might just go and get him registered at the vets and get them to give him the once over....cant hurt can it?

Thanks for your replies xx

Is diabetes in pigs treatable? I've not really come across it before and just wondered. Don't want to hijack the thread, but since it is all relevant, thought I'd ask. Thanks! :)

Things can been done to keep a guinea in the best health possible if they have diabetes. Defiantly get him checked but I would think it would just be that the weather is getting a little warmer. :)

Going to the vets tomorrow afternoon. Hes still fine in himself...ive just come home from college and hes popped his head over the bars and gave me a little wheek! So ive just given him some cucumber and hes munching away quite happily on that at the mo

i ll let you know what the vets says tomorrow. Thanks again for all the replies xx

Hello there just read this thread, my guinea pig has also had an extreme thirst lately, there has been no weight loss or wetbottom, So i was just wondering if you had found out anything from the vet?

Just a thought here.Have you started giving the pigs mineral or salt licks recently?These can cause excessive thirst.
Some pigs do seem to drink more than others ,but if one starts to drink a lot more,i I would suspect some kind of renal problem.Pregnant sows also drink more in the early stages of the pregnancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back