• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

excessive drinking and small poops

• Thread starter Thread starter maisydaisystar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maisydaisystar

Hi
Toffee has always been a small guinea pig, and her poops have always been small too, she drinks alot of water, and am wondering if anything is wrong? she seems happy enough in herself, she loves her fesh food, and her hay but has never been over keen on eating dried food, she eats it but in small amounts.
I just worry about the amont of water she gets through, her and charlies hutch is soaked when i clean out every 3-4 days.
Has anyone else experienced this?

I have been looking into this with mine.
My twinkle is tiny and her poos are really small too. I have started marking the water bottles as the 2 girls hardly drink but one of my lone boars drinks loads.
They have the same veg so that cant be an issue. I have also noticed that the girls on pellets never eat much dried food yet the ones on the mix eat it all up.
The girls cage who dont seem to drink the cage gets wetter than all the others.? :-\

Drinking and gps is a vexed question.Some drink loads and some just not enough as you have discovered.

If I have a piggy that is not drinking much I give extra plain water by syringe every day.Just a few mls will help.Also when I wash veggies under running water,I do not shake off the excess.It is surprising how much fluid they get from that.They do get quite a lot of fluid from the veggies anyway.Try and incluse some "wet" veggies such as celery,tomato,cucumber. Oiggies that do not drink enough are at risk of developing renal stones.

As for being small,unless she is losing weight do notr worry.Gps like humans are all shapes and sizes.Some gps can stay around the 2lb mark all their lives and be perfectly happy,others can tip the scales at 4lb.

Has the boozy boar always drunk a lot?.If so this is fine.If a gp suddenly starts to drink a lot more there could be a health issue causing this.Renal problems and liver problems can cause polydipsia.

I think boars tend to pee more than sows,and if Charlie is only cleaned every 3 days,then his hutch will be wet.I clean mine twice a day.

thanks for your advice, will clean their hutch more regularly, it would help if they didn't pee everywhere, my other two only go in the same place, so never have a wet hutch.Thanks again x

I've noticed that the girls, who have bottles, drink loads whereas the boys, who have bowls, hardly drink anything. I wonder whether drinking from the bottle becomes a bit of a habit for some guineas? When I handle the girls I nearly always get wee'd on but the boys don't. I'm not sure if that's because of the amounts of water they've drunk or just that the boys are politer!

I have been a bit worried about Tiger lately - he seems to be drinking a lot - sometimes almost a bottle a day. He has always been a thirsty boy and seems fine otherwise (and has always been a piddle pants) - does this sound a lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back