Example low calcium diet

machuandpicchumummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Noticed when I clean my boys out their pee is leaving white stains so I'm worried they're getting too much calcium. In a day they normally eat lettuce and cucumber in the morning, hay and pellets throughout the day and they normally have a few pieces of carrot a week and a treat like parsley or kale once every two weeks or something.

Does anyone have a low calcium diet plan I could pinch perhaps or recommendations. Is there a different type of dry food I should be using or different type of hay etc or is it all in the veggies?

They're still under a year old so I want to nip anything in the bud before it could potentially become an issue as they get older.

Keeping pellets limited to one tablespoon per pig per day and not letting them have access throughout the day, and also ensuring water is filtered will go a long way to keeping calcium intake in check

I will buy them each a small hamster bowl and just put a tablespoon of pellets in there each day. I didn't know they shouldn't have access 24/7 to pellets. Thanks for letting me know. What are the best low calcium veggies?

High calcium veggies should get fed only once a week and they are kale, spinach and parsley being amongst the highest. everything else in moderation though because of everything contains a certain amount of calcium

Back