Ew... Gross Water Bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPig24

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was cleaning out my guinea pig's food stuff, then I decided to give him more fresh water. His water bottle is the grossest thing I've ever seen. There's a brownish stuff that doesn't seem bad at first, but when I stuck a paper towel in his bottle, that was nasty! Horrible green grossness. I decided to put this in health, because I naturally clean out his food stuff. How am I supposed to clean his bottle?
HELP! :ple:

It sounds like algae in the water bottle. A good way to clean the water bottle is using rice, put some in and shake it around with a bit of water in there for 5 mins. Then tip the water and rice away, give it a good rinse and make sure their is no rice left in the bottle at all.
Alternatively if it still doesn't get it clean get another, they can normally be picked up quite cheap.

Water bottles should be thoroughly cleaned every few days. I prefer glass water bottles as they are more hygienic and you can easily see when they need cleaning.

I use a bottle brush to scrub out the inside of the bottle and remove any algae buildup. Don't forget to clean the spout as this can become dirty as well! I use a cotton bud to clean the inside of the spout.

To keep the bottle from growing algae, you should be replacing the water daily. Warm temperatures and sunlight grow the algae, so if possible keep the bottle out of direct sunlight, and fill with cold water. In the summer months I fill all my animals bottles with cool water and change it at least once per day if not more.

You can get bottle brushes quite cheap and they work quite well, or you can put rice or lentils in it. Both methods are good and get rid of the mess.
Hope I've helped x

I use "magic balls" to clean my bottles. We got them as an Xmas perzzie but I've seen them for sale in kitchen shops and I have also seen them for sale in shops for wine buffs ( to clean out their decanters - very middle class).

I'm sure that rice is just as good - or brushes. The important thing is to clean their bottles regularly.

I use milton to sterilise my bottles and a bottle brush for cleaning, I also use a cotton bud (q tip) to clean inside the spouts ... pigs are minging with their bottles!

I also use baby bottle.sterilising fluid and a bottle brush, it needs doing at least once a week or it will get nasty...

I use a bottle brush on mine, as my hutches are in a shed, they don't get as much algae as they did when they were outdoors in the sunlight. I've just bought a new bottle today for the pig's hutch as the old one appeared to leak. When I put it in the bun's hutch, it stopped leaking. So I put the bun's bottle (which doesn't leak) on the pig's hutch and it started leaking! :eek: Fingers crossed, the new bottle hasn't dripped once, it's a different brand and type (Ferplast) to my usual bottle. (Classic)

I use the rice method. Don't put spout back on to shake the bottle as rice will get trapped in the spout and stop it working.

I had the same problem a few months ago. I kind of made my own invention to clean their bottle! lol First i take a pencil and wrap two squares of toilet paper around it...next i tape it to secure it! You can change out the toilet paper as needed :)

i use milton to sterilise bottles once a week. the biba savic water bottles are excellent, because you can separate the spout from the lid which makes it even easier to clean. the stuff that gets in there is horrible! can't imagine how much there would be on bottles that you can't take apart!

I have a cover on my water bottle as the only place we can put it is in sunlight. It has stopped the algae forming on the inside of the bottle. Well, actually we chucked out the original bottle that had algae and got a new one too. I have a bottle brush as well that has two ends, one is more rigid to clean the inside of the plastic bit where the spout is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back