Everyone Met Siren! ❤️

LadyLiberty911

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was at PetSmart for a good two hours this morning lol!
Found a 1 month old, long haired female PRECIOUS piggy! I picked her out, then roamed around the store finding her all her toys, bedding, food, Vitamin C supplements, her house (IT HAS A SECOND STORY ) , etc.

(Should I keep her food bowl where it was made to go on the top? Or since she's timid and shy, on the bottom where all her stuff is at until she becomes comfortable?)

Each time I walk into my bedroom, I go in slow and use the infamous "coo" voice we all do with small animals & babies so she gets comfortable with my voice.

I would post a picture of her, but as suspected she's very scared and timid, hiding in her little wood tube I got her.

It might be worth posting a pic of the cage so we get a better idea what it looks like :)

Is it a food bowl for pellets? I tend to pop it with some hay just inside their hide with a bit of cucumber for hydration :)

She's likely to be a bit more nervous than other pigs as she's on her own, it can take them a little longer to come around but with all pigs it's all about patience :))

Hope she settles in okay.

It might be worth posting a pic of the cage so we get a better idea what it looks like :)

Is it a food bowl for pellets? I tend to pop it with some hay just inside their hide with a bit of cucumber for hydration :)

She's likely to be a bit more nervous than other pigs as she's on her own, it can take them a little longer to come around but with all pigs it's all about patience :))

Hope she settles in okay.

I do have a picture of her cage and now a picture of her!
I've sense moved her food (pellet) bowl to the ground level. Have a generous pile of Timothy hay on the right.

I've also noticed today that she hasn't eaten or taken any drinks of her Vitamin C water.
I'm assuming this behavior is normal since she isn't familiar with me or her new surroundings yet. I've thought about getting a worn shirt off mine and placing it outside of the cage where she's been hiding to get her more familiar with my scent. Is that a good idea?

0908171141.webp
0908172004a.webp

Welcome, she looks very cute.

I try to never put anything in the water as the taste can sometimes put them off. It's normal that you won't see her eating and drinking in the first few days as she adjusts to her new environment (she is likely doing it when you are not around). As others have mentioned you can place her food bowl near her hiding place for now or you can leave it where it is and place a towel/blanket temporarily over part of the cage so that she feels a bit more hidden. If you are worried about her not drinking then cucumber is a very good watery veg to give her a few slices of.

Totally normal for her to be fearful and skittish at this point, especially as she does not have a companion to brave the scary new world with but she will settle in over time.

Your cage unfortunately does look like it may be a little on the small side, especially once she is full grown.

She is adorable and once she settles in I'm sure you'll join the majority of the forum in the "my guinea can hear the fridge opening from 2 rooms away" wheeking frenzy :D

83271168-866F-42CE-ACCA-48072171CE55-535-0000003C12378E44.webp

Hello and welcome

I'm going to be very honest as this forum tends to be. I'm afraid your cage is rather too small even for a single guinea pig. I'm attaching a cage size guide for you. You are not the first owner to be sold a cage that is too small by a pet store, it's a recurring theme all round the world.

A new piggy will be scared. Piggies are prey animals and have to learn to overcome their natural instincts. They are also sociable creatures and do far better in pairs than singly. She would be better with a companion but only if you have a suitable sized cage and follow the guides to introductions and bondings. Simply buying another piggy won't guarantee they will get on. They are funny creatures.

Here is our new owners "starter" guide with plenty of threads to help you understand your piggy.

New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice

I agree the cage is far to small, they need room to popcorn & zoom. Also you will be getting this one a friend, I hope, that will really perk him/she up. Look online at the Midwest C&C cage. Please get your piggie out of it now.
Pet shops are well known for recommending little cages, they only want to make money.

she is very cute, lovely colour.. I have to agree with the above comments about the cage though, it does look very small and if this is what you were advised to buy then bad on the pet shop ! She also would love a friend to keep her company..

I do have a picture of her cage and now a picture of her!
I've sense moved her food (pellet) bowl to the ground level. Have a generous pile of Timothy hay on the right.

I've also noticed today that she hasn't eaten or taken any drinks of her Vitamin C water.
I'm assuming this behavior is normal since she isn't familiar with me or her new surroundings yet. I've thought about getting a worn shirt off mine and placing it outside of the cage where she's been hiding to get her more familiar with my scent. Is that a good idea?

View attachment 70275
View attachment 70274

Aw she's a cutie pie! :love:

As for the vitamin drops, I'd return them to the store. Piggies won't drink their water with it in, plus idk what ingredients/vitamins are in there but things like vit A can be over dosed on.

Yea her bowl will probably be better on the floor you're right :) You shirt idea is great, you can drape it over the top of half the cage to also make her feel more secure as well as getting used to your scent :)

As others have mentioned it's probably an idea to look for a bigger cage :) A 4ft by 2ft is the minimum size for 2 girlies and it's great to watch piggies in a new big cage, popcorning around and doing zoomies :drool:

Hope your gorgeous girl starts to settle in soon! :)

Welcome, she looks very cute.

I try to never put anything in the water as the taste can sometimes put them off. It's normal that you won't see her eating and drinking in the first few days as she adjusts to her new environment (she is likely doing it when you are not around). As others have mentioned you can place her food bowl near her hiding place for now or you can leave it where it is and place a towel/blanket temporarily over part of the cage so that she feels a bit more hidden. If you are worried about her not drinking then cucumber is a very good watery veg to give her a few slices of.

Totally normal for her to be fearful and skittish at this point, especially as she does not have a companion to brave the scary new world with but she will settle in over time.

Your cage unfortunately does look like it may be a little on the small side, especially once she is full grown.

She is adorable and once she settles in I'm sure you'll join the majority of the forum in the "my guinea can hear the fridge opening from 2 rooms away" wheeking frenzy :D

I did notice I will need to get her a bigger home as she grows! I went to change her water this morning before I went to work and noticed a few poop-pellets in front of the water bottle and I did hear some rustling last night so I'm assuming she was taking some intermittent drinks from her water (I hope).
Sat by the cage talking to her and slowly putting my hand in the cage so she can smell me and get use to my scent. I also put one of my nightgown shirts on the outside of the cage where she has been hiding for the same reason.

View attachment 70279

Hello and welcome

I'm going to be very honest as this forum tends to be. I'm afraid your cage is rather too small even for a single guinea pig. I'm attaching a cage size guide for you. You are not the first owner to be sold a cage that is too small by a pet store, it's a recurring theme all round the world.

A new piggy will be scared. Piggies are prey animals and have to learn to overcome their natural instincts. They are also sociable creatures and do far better in pairs than singly. She would be better with a companion but only if you have a suitable sized cage and follow the guides to introductions and bondings. Simply buying another piggy won't guarantee they will get on. They are funny creatures.

Here is our new owners "starter" guide with plenty of threads to help you understand your piggy.

New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice
I took note of the cage dimensions! Thank you!
I will heed everything, I want my piggy to be happy and healthy! :)

I agree the cage is far to small, they need room to popcorn & zoom. Also you will be getting this one a friend, I hope, that will really perk him/she up. Look online at the Midwest C&C cage. Please get your piggie out of it now.
Pet shops are well known for recommending little cages, they only want to make money.
Next payday (in about a week) I'll be looking into a bigger cage for Siren and looking into a potential roomie for her! I'm currently attempting to get use to caring for one before I feel like myself and Siren are ready for a new addition! That's at least my stances on everything for the moment.

I was at PetSmart for a good two hours this morning lol!
Found a 1 month old, long haired female PRECIOUS piggy! I picked her out, then roamed around the store finding her all her toys, bedding, food, Vitamin C supplements, her house (IT HAS A SECOND STORY ) , etc.

(Should I keep her food bowl where it was made to go on the top? Or since she's timid and shy, on the bottom where all her stuff is at until she becomes comfortable?)

Each time I walk into my bedroom, I go in slow and use the infamous "coo" voice we all do with small animals & babies so she gets comfortable with my voice.

I would post a picture of her, but as suspected she's very scared and timid, hiding in her little wood tube I got her.
I see you've had loads of great advice so far But did you really mean they sold a 1 month old piggie? That sounds really really young to be selling piggies.?
My wee girls were sold at 8 weeks and are tiny but do at least have each other for company. Glad to hear you are investing in a big cage and getting a second piggy. Good Luck with the wee precious.

You could get a puppy pen to go round her cage as a fence and leave the door open. Such a pretty cage. Love the co!ours. Sounds like she is lucky to be living with you.

Have a good read of the bonding stickies when the time comes to find her a friend.

Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

Pet shops really shouldn't sell just one guinea pig unless you already have one or more. You've said that Siren is very shy and timid, this is understandable because guinea pigs are used to living with others and are prey animals, which means safety in numbers. She would be ready right now to live with another guinea pig.

I've had my piggy for three weeks. She had a sister who was taken away from her the night before she came to me. Her old owner was an idiot. Anyway due to the fact she had a fungal infection I could get her a friend yet. She's still doing well on her own. I have a desperate cage ready to go when I can get her pal to quarantine her for a while, but she's thrived quite well so far. The first few days were tough. It sounds like you're doing everything you can and taking everything on board that everyone has to say here so keep doing what you can. I imagine in a few weeks you'll have it all together, and will be able to share your lovely piggy family in their new abode!

Hello! I see you're one of the few other Americans on here.. I agree with whoever suggested the Midwest cage for you! It's what my boys started with when they were little and it's only like $35 dollars with free shipping on Amazon, plus it's 8 square feet which meets the Humane Society's minimum cage requirement for a guinea pig. If you get her a companion, you will really see her blossom into a happy and social little lady as they are group animals and don't thrive on their own. The vitamin C water drops tend to lose almost all of their potency, not to mention piggies usually don't like the taste of them and won't drink their water. Petsmart also sells Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C Tabs in their rodent treat aisle and they're a much better and very affordable option that my vet swears by.

Welcome to piggy parenthood! :D

If only you were in Arizona, I'd give you my old Midwest cage! Also wanted to add that when beautiful Siren is settled in and you feel ready for her to have a friend, if you go to a rescue you can take Siren on "dates" so she can choose her own sister and the people who work there can tell you for sure that their personalities seem to be a good match! Good luck with everything, feel free to ask if you have any questions :luv: your girl is precious.

I see you've had loads of great advice so far But did you really mean they sold a 1 month old piggie? That sounds really really young to be selling piggies.?
My wee girls were sold at 8 weeks and are tiny but do at least have each other for company. Glad to hear you are investing in a big cage and getting a second piggy. Good Luck with the wee precious.

Well, after I saw how tiny and young they were when I got Siren I asked one of the employees about her age. She stated that she thinks they're just a few months old by looking at how small they were.

Hello! I see you're one of the few other Americans on here.. I agree with whoever suggested the Midwest cage for you! It's what my boys started with when they were little and it's only like $35 dollars with free shipping on Amazon, plus it's 8 square feet which meets the Humane Society's minimum cage requirement for a guinea pig. If you get her a companion, you will really see her blossom into a happy and social little lady as they are group animals and don't thrive on their own. The vitamin C water drops tend to lose almost all of their potency, not to mention piggies usually don't like the taste of them and won't drink their water. Petsmart also sells Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C Tabs in their rodent treat aisle and they're a much better and very affordable option that my vet swears by.

Welcome to piggy parenthood! :D

I will definitely look into that cage for her!
I did read about the vitamin c drops before I got her. The packaging says water soluble (still, you're right) and she hasn't been acting like she isn't fond of any possible tastes it may give the water. She gulps (...licks....?) Her water down no problem! Lol! I change her water daily.

If only you were in Arizona, I'd give you my old Midwest cage! Also wanted to add that when beautiful Siren is settled in and you feel ready for her to have a friend, if you go to a rescue you can take Siren on "dates" so she can choose her own sister and the people who work there can tell you for sure that their personalities seem to be a good match! Good luck with everything, feel free to ask if you have any questions :luv: your girl is precious.

Oh how precious! Little dates!
She's doing really well since the last time I've been in the forums! The only thing I'm still trying to work on for her is getting her comfortable enough around me to pick her up for cuddles and tummy time.

Her personality is starting to come out! She's so qwirky and spunky!
She's very playful. She's starting to popcorn more and starts BOOKING IT around her cage LOL!
She also does the this thing to be silly when I'm with her. She will turn her back to me and start flinging her bedding in my direction
It's so hilarious. My roommate and I like to just sit and watch her, she cracks is up lol

You could get a puppy pen to go round her cage as a fence and leave the door open. Such a pretty cage. Love the co!ours. Sounds like she is lucky to be living with you.

Have a good read of the bonding stickies when the time comes to find her a friend.

Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

That's such a good idea! I will have to try that!
Yes! I spoil my piggy! She will be having an Extreme Home Maker as soon as I'm not flat broke lol

Back