Environmentally friendly bedding

Hope4gem

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I was thinking about how I can have less waste from the piggies I own. I realized just today that I can probably put their used uneaten hay in with the lawn clippings that I put out for our township to compost. I'd like to do something similar with their bedding because that's the biggest source of waste. I use fleece for the majority of their cage areas, but we use disposable paper bedding for their kitchen areas. I don't have a big enough yard to compost on my own. I don't think I can put used paper bedding out for composting. Does anyone have any suggestions for disposable bedding that would be more environmentally friendly? What do other people do to cut down on the waste? I was thinking about aubiose, but I'd have to check to see if I can leave that out with the lawn clippings. My first priority is for my piggies to be clean and dry, but I'd love to be kinder to the environment in the process if I can.

there is some type of bedding somewhere in a bag, maybe pink possibly :)) It is lucky I am not a Dr.

Dr what is wrong with me.

Well it's the thing on the end of that long limb there, that goes in the sock...

This is the UK packaging for Back-2-Nature bedding... it looks like little grey noddles. You can just about see in the circle on the pack. I put hay on top.
Aubiose would be the obvious choice as it's very obviously natural and looks a bit like hay anyway. It's also probably cheaper as this stuff is pricey (£17 for 30L is the cheapest I've seen) but I use it in the bedroom areas for my indoor pigs where it soaks up a lot of pee and stink! I found this to be more absorbent that aubiose on my intensively peed-in areas.
1625602216996.webp I did have to contact my local area waste management people to see if they would accept it to compost. There used to be labels all over the packaging saying 'Compostable' but different local councils use different companies and different methods so I think that's why it was removed. In some areas of the country it just has to go in the bin. Traditionally UK waste was buried ('landfill') but more and more we are seeing burning of non-recyclable waste in special furnaces... that's what we've got round here. If it wasn't accepted for composting here I might have to have a rethink!

Hemp and megazorb are compostable. I've only used megazorb with pigs and it's really absorbent, odour controlling, easy to remove soiled bedding and low maintenance in general. Bag is quite touch and can be reused. I'm keeping them by for collecting manure for veggie patch but they can be used for many things :)

This is the UK packaging for Back-2-Nature bedding... it looks like little grey noddles. You can just about see in the circle on the pack. I put hay on top.
Aubiose would be the obvious choice as it's very obviously natural and looks a bit like hay anyway. It's also probably cheaper as this stuff is pricey (£17 for 30L is the cheapest I've seen) but I use it in the bedroom areas for my indoor pigs where it soaks up a lot of pee and stink! I found this to be more absorbent that aubiose on my intensively peed-in areas.
View attachment 179915 I did have to contact my local area waste management people to see if they would accept it to compost. There used to be labels all over the packaging saying 'Compostable' but different local councils use different companies and different methods so I think that's why it was removed. In some areas of the country it just has to go in the bin. Traditionally UK waste was buried ('landfill') but more and more we are seeing burning of non-recyclable waste in special furnaces... that's what we've got round here. If it wasn't accepted for composting here I might have to have a rethink!

Hemp and megazorb are compostable. I've only used megazorb with pigs and it's really absorbent, odour controlling, easy to remove soiled bedding and low maintenance in general. Bag is quite touch and can be reused. I'm keeping them by for collecting manure for veggie patch but they can be used for many things :)
Thank you both for the suggestions. I really appreciate it!

I'd advise checking if animal waste can actually go in your garden waste bin. They won't accept it in my area. :(

It’s brilliant that you’re thinking of being more environmentally friendly 🥰 some great ideas people have shared on here.
We have a lot of waste from the horses, but luckily the farmers want it and take it away to be reused

Back