enrichment ideas..

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
hi all! just looking at some of the different bits i can get my girls for enrichment! i’m trying to get some paper bags but unfortunately everyone i’ve contacted has ignored my question on wether its been treated / sprayed with anything that could harm my girls if chewed - if anyone has recommendations on safe ones i can get id be really grateful! i obviously know about carrot houses but wondering if this is something they can have in the cage all the time or if its more of a treat thing as it contains carrot? they’ve slowly started to tear the last one apart but i don’t want to keep putting a new one in there if its better kept as a treat.. any other recommendations i’d really appreciate, thanks!

Carrot cottages are fine - i leave it in until destroyed - they don’t sit and eat all the carrot in one go.
Any plain paper bag is fine - they are not likely to have been treated, this came up a lot during covid in relation to cardboard boxes

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Amazon cardboard boxes safe?

brilliant thankyou for confirming that, will definitely be purchasing more!

okay thanks, was just a bit paranoid after hearing that! thanks for clearing it up for me🙂

If you're getting carrot cottages a hay cube is similar. And I know I always say it, but packing paper. Amazon uses it to pad out their delivery boxes and 90% of it ends up in with the goblins because they love it, lol.

If you're getting carrot cottages a hay cube is similar. And I know I always say it, but packing paper. Amazon uses it to pad out their delivery boxes and 90% of it ends up in with the goblins because they love it, lol.

okay thanks! wasn’t sure on hay cubes as iv seen that a piggie got stuck in one.. but i suppose they can worm their way into most things and get stuck little monkeys!🙊 what the paper that is shredded but not fully? the weird ripply cardboard?🤣

okay thanks! wasn’t sure on hay cubes as iv seen that a piggie got stuck in one.. but i suppose they can worm their way into most things and get stuck little monkeys!🙊 what the paper that is shredded but not fully? the weird ripply cardboard?🤣

You have to make sure you get the large cube.
My 1500g boar comfortably fits in one before the entrances are piggy-renovated!

I get so much of that paper, the other bedroom cupboard is half full of it. I do recycle some of it but they love it.

I took some unprinted newsprint (comes as a pad from an art store, shop around to find it for cheaper; I suppose you could just use an old newspaper, but I don't like the ink - I react to it sometimes, so I won't give it to the piggies), and I folded it into an origami box and stuffed it with hay. I can't get the video to upload (too big), but here are some pictures of the enjoyment ...
3F2B79F2-F13A-43A0-A0BD-732E5C7E9321.webpEF16A86D-B0F0-4FF8-86E0-83DA9378996E.webp7495694C-EB27-443B-BFAA-D3B11C157475.webp787F0764-FAF5-4C7A-9096-2071D714A103.webp8076E43A-5E77-4509-91ED-221F65FA14CB.webp

They also loved to yank the paper from under the litter for arts and crafts ...
0A4556A3-B707-48D7-8A5D-06825C6E3B35.webp

Attachments

• 50284707-3F77-45F7-9AF9-AE55A3F90FFF.webp
    50284707-3F77-45F7-9AF9-AE55A3F90FFF.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 3
I took some unprinted newsprint (comes as a pad from an art store, shop around to find it for cheaper; I suppose you could just use an old newspaper, but I don't like the ink - I react to it sometimes, so I won't give it to the piggies), and I folded it into an origami box and stuffed it with hay. I can't get the video to upload (too big), but here are some pictures of the enjoyment ...
View attachment 203970View attachment 203971View attachment 203972View attachment 203974View attachment 203975

They also loved to yank the paper from under the litter for arts and crafts ...
View attachment 203976
The forum doesn’t have capacity to host videos. So you have to upload to a third party site (YouTube etc) then post the link here. Hope that helps.

Back