Enrichment for a singleton

emdalliance

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm fostering a 6 month old boar soon! He'll be being neutered under my care then put up for adoption to go join another singleton or herd.

I want to make sure that he's as occupied as possible being a lone six month old boy.

Any recommendations of quirky ways to keep a lone piggie occupied?

I've got the usual stuff planned but I just hate to think of him being bored! I work from home so I can swap stuff out regularly, get him out & so on.

Thanks!

Do you have other piggies he'll be able to hear and talk to? Ive always wondered about fostering boars. I have 2 sow pairs and wondered if they could be within hearing distance without causing problems.

Do you have other piggies he'll be able to hear and talk to? Ive always wondered about fostering boars. I have 2 sow pairs and wondered if they could be within hearing distance without causing problems.
No he'll be my only one! I basically take whatever my wonderful local rescue needs me to. Hopefully he finds a new home asap post being in the all clear of the neuter so he's not alone for too long!

I have space to foster more but struggling to find any honestly, I've tried registering with additional rescues but they all seem to stipulate fosterers have to pay for everything including vet care which I don't personally agree with!

Hi guys,

I'm fostering a 6 month old boar soon! He'll be being neutered under my care then put up for adoption to go join another singleton or herd.

I want to make sure that he's as occupied as possible being a lone six month old boy.

Any recommendations of quirky ways to keep a lone piggie occupied?

I've got the usual stuff planned but I just hate to think of him being bored! I work from home so I can swap stuff out regularly, get him out & so on.

Thanks!

Hi

You may also find this guide here helpful to spot the signs that your boy is transferring his social needs onto you: Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Here is more information on neutering, cross gender bonds and what you need to be aware of and rescue dating:
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

Hi

You may also find this guide here helpful to spot the signs that your boy is transferring his social needs onto you: Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Here is more information on neutering, cross gender bonds and what you need to be aware of and rescue dating:
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Thank you!

I'll definitely take a thorough read of the Single Guinea Pig thread.

I'm very well versed in neutering and post operative care, having boars neutered before, as well as male degus! Our vet is excellent with small animals. I have read your guide however, just as a refresh & because they're so in-depth!

He will hopefully be going on to join a group of sows after the post op minimum 7+ week stay with myself, through a match making process when potential adopters come forward!

The rescue I'm working with closely fostering him is excellent and a registered charity. They cover all the costs for fosterers.

I haven't been able to find any others where they cover at least housing and vet fees. I don't mind paying for anything else but I would appreciate housing & vet fees covered!

I'm hoping the rescue I'm working with will need me to foster more piggies whilst he's here so he'll have Guinea Pig company at least indirectly.

Thank you!

I'll definitely take a thorough read of the Single Guinea Pig thread.

I'm very well versed in neutering and post operative care, having boars neutered before, as well as male degus! Our vet is excellent with small animals. I have read your guide however, just as a refresh & because they're so in-depth!

He will hopefully be going on to join a group of sows after the post op minimum 7+ week stay with myself, through a match making process when potential adopters come forward!

The rescue I'm working with closely fostering him is excellent and a registered charity. They cover all the costs for fosterers.

I haven't been able to find any others where they cover at least housing and vet fees. I don't mind paying for anything else but I would appreciate housing & vet fees covered!

I'm hoping the rescue I'm working with will need me to foster more piggies whilst he's here so he'll have Guinea Pig company at least indirectly.

Which rescue is this?

I am glad that you are finding my guides helpful. We also have a step-by-step bonding guide, which takes you through all the phases of the bonding process with attendant behaviours and dynamics and also features group dynamics.

The wonderful rescue that I'm fostering for is Greatfield Small Animal Rescue. I might have them mixed up about being a registered charity, I think they're a non-profit. They're currently also undergoing grounds work to expand the rescue! It's honestly an excellent little rescue. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

I believe the rescue will work on matchmaking for him, I'm just here to love him until he finds a forever home with some Guinea pig companions.

It sounds like the poor boy has been through a lot recently. Hope he's very happy with you before he goes off on his new adventures. Please can we see pigtures when he arrives?

It sounds like the poor boy has been through a lot recently. Hope he's very happy with you before he goes off on his new adventures. Please can we see pigtures when he arrives?
Yeah, I think he's a fairly happy soul hopefully besides his wobbly start in life!

I'll make sure to post pigtures of him and his set up when he gets here ☺️

I'm very excited for you and him!
Thanks! Me too! I miss having them around so it'll be nice to have them around and be helping out at the same time!

Especially now that my degus are all slowing down as they're super elderly with dental disease. But that also means if I foster anyone sick, I won't be making additional vet trips as I'm there twice a month anyway lol.

Soooo... they ended up getting adopted out which is why you haven't heard from me in a while lol.

However, Caramel came back to the rescue as he would just not happily bond with the boar he had gone to live with.

I fostered him...

I am keeping him LOL! Turns out I'm not a good fosterer. I forgot how wonderful it was to have Guinea Pigs in my life. So, he's staying forever.

He's really chill with being held, fussed and his home being cleaned. He's just a chill little dude, especially for 7 months old having gone from a home, to the rescue, to a new home, then back to the rescue and to me lol.

He's being neutered next week (Thursday), and he'll then be getting a wife or two once it's safe for him to do so (moreso safe for them lol).

He's currently in a 4x2 c&c cage with a 2x1 loft that I (proudly) made. He has access to the rest of the room too when I'm in as it's safe. I am upgrading this to a 6x2 with two lofts (he LOVES the loft) in the next few weeks! I just feel the 4x2 is too small for him, let alone with another pig.

My degus have huge enclosures which are bigger than the 4x2, so it just strains my brain to see a creature much bigger than a degu in something smaller!

He's been renamed from Caramel to Pig (short for Pigwigeon).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 15.25.32.webp
    Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 15.25.32.webp
    44.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 15.25.41.webp
    Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 15.25.41.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 15.25.51.webp
    Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 15.25.51.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 15.25.58.webp
    Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 15.25.58.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 15.26.07.webp
    Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 15.26.07.webp
    20.5 KB · Views: 4
He is so very handsome! What a lucky boy. I hope the neuter goes well! And he looks somewhat like Marigold just with a short coat!

Messenger Kids_creation_53657320.webp

Back