• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Emergency help please

Zombiepanda

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am gonna start by saying we DO have a vet appointment. Unfortunately they can’t get him in until tomorrow because the small animal vet is out of town, but I’m waiting to see if they’ll squeeze in him sooner for an emergency visit. But I’d like to vent so stress and get input in the meantime..

Rescue piggy (not sure the age but older) was fine last night and when I woke up this morning he was laying on his side and flopping (Similar to a dog wallowing in a mud puddle). He can’t stand up and just kicks around trying but can’t do anything. He just leans and flops. At first I thought seizure, but it seems neurological. He hasn’t been injured or fallen or anything of that nature, no foreign foods that he could have gotten to, was literally a healthy little piggy monster up until whatever caused this overnight.
https://youtube.com/@zombiepanda9890?si=kbBdQO4PF2uhJbBW

I'm sorry to hear this.

I’m glad you’ve got a vet appointment.
All you can do in the meantime is step in with emergency/bridging care and keep him comfortable.

It would be very to get him seen asap to make sure she is not in pain etc even if it means another appointment tomorrow with another more knowledgeable vet.

Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

I hope he is ok

Hello everyone, I am gonna start by saying we DO have a vet appointment. Unfortunately they can’t get him in until tomorrow because the small animal vet is out of town, but I’m waiting to see if they’ll squeeze in him sooner for an emergency visit. But I’d like to vent so stress and get input in the meantime..

https://youtube.com/@zombiepanda9890?si=kbBdQO4PF2uhJbBW

Hi

HUGS

I am keeping my fingers crossed that your boy can been seen today.
I am very sorry. Please prop him up with a soft rag so that his head is just that little higher than the body. If you can build a little nest that can support him that would be great. This reduces the strain on his heart. Make sure that he is warm but not hot.

It is impossible for us to say what has happened. It could have been a stroke.

Is he still taking on just a little water or feed from a syringe or is refusing it? Please only start with about one tenth of a syringe in case he struggles to swallow.

Here is our one-stop emergency care and information collection link: Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility
CBS (Calcified Bulla Syndrome) and Neurological Problems - Symptoms and Care (see chapters on stroke and neurological events)

Hello and thanks so much for your replies! I know I’m just doing the stress research to try and feel like I’m doing something. I posted the videos to YouTube and hated them because I had to take him out of his little nest. I’ll be sure to keep his head elevated though thank you for that! He is taking small watered down feed through a 1ml syringe thank goodness. So I’ll be sure to stay on top of that. Can he have pedialyte watered down to help?

I didn’t even think about a stroke… we’re guessing he’s potentially quite old. I’ve had him for three years as a rescue, but from what I know he was passed around a lot from home to home before I got hold of him. Between the vet (his intake checkup) and word of mouth we think he’s 6-9 years old, possibly older.

I looked at video and considered vertigo from an ear infection, but from watching him this morning I’d almost lean towards neurological. Fingers crossed we can get in sooner and thank you guys again for the replies!

Hello and thanks so much for your replies! I know I’m just doing the stress research to try and feel like I’m doing something. I posted the videos to YouTube and hated them because I had to take him out of his little nest. I’ll be sure to keep his head elevated though thank you for that! He is taking small watered down feed through a 1ml syringe thank goodness. So I’ll be sure to stay on top of that. Can he have pedialyte watered down to help?

I didn’t even think about a stroke… we’re guessing he’s potentially quite old. I’ve had him for three years as a rescue, but from what I know he was passed around a lot from home to home before I got hold of him. Between the vet (his intake checkup) and word of mouth we think he’s 6-9 years old, possibly older.

I looked at video and considered vertigo from an ear infection, but from watching him this morning I’d almost lean towards neurological. Fingers crossed we can get in sooner and thank you guys again for the replies!

He can have pedialyte at the recommended ratio but it is not replacing any solids (especially not hay/grass fibre which makes over three quarters of the daily food intake.
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures (includes a chapter on how to improvise in an emergency).

@weibke I looked up CBS… I’m putting my guess there… he has several of the symptoms and the vet always treats him with antibiotics but put it off to early years of improper care causing long term health issues. Apparently CBS is widely known? I’d put money on that our very definitely hasn’t heard of it. Before I said anything to my mon she said “he looks like he had a stroke”

@weibke I looked up CBS… I’m putting my guess there… he has several of the symptoms and the vet always treats him with antibiotics but put it off to early years of improper care causing long term health issues. Apparently CBS is widely known? I’d put money on that our very definitely hasn’t heard of it. Before I said anything to my mon she said “he looks like he had a stroke”

CBS is NOT at all widely known but there is currently a bit of an epidemic in North Ameria due to about a quarter or even a third of piggies sold being infected with something or other.

It is basically a walled off middle ear infection and in Europe it is generally diagosed as that but we have seen very few cases on here, to be honest. It is not very common in Europe since pet shop welfare standards are generally higher.

It would help usif you could add your country to location in in your account details (you find them by clicking on your username on the top bar). This will help us re. vet access, brand names, climate issues and ruling in/out certain health issues.

CBS is NOT widely known but there is currently a bit of an epidemic in North Ameria due to about every fourth or even third piggy sold being infected with something or other.

It is basically a walled off middle ear infection and in Europe it is generally diagosed as that. It is not very common since pet shop welfare standards are generally higher.
Sorry I meant not widely known* typing with one hand and I missed that. Sorry, definitely NOT known. The standards for breeding and selling here are abysmal and appalling. Thank you again for all the information and I’ll update as soon as I can :)

Sorry I meant not widely known* typing with one hand and I missed that. Sorry, definitely NOT known. The standards for breeding and selling here are abysmal and appalling. Thank you again for all the information and I’ll update as soon as I can :)

Fingers very firmly crossed!

stroke caused by a brain tumor… thanks everyone for the support and advice today

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry. We can sadly never choose when and what from our beloved ones die; all we can do is to give them good care and plenty happy todays - which is how piggies measure a happy life by. And to minimise any unnecessary suffering at the end.

You have done that. Please feel sad but take comfort from the fact that you have done all the right things and haven't failed your precious boy in any way. Remember all the good and happy times with him and be kind with yourself while you are grieving.

Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

Back