• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Emergency Alert? Cardboard boxes? Thoughts?

There was a thread on this yesterday or the day before. May have been in the food section, I can’t remember.

Ohh right is there anyway I can delete this post? I don't want to worry people unnecessarily. Especially new owners who have probably put cardboard boxes in the cage as I have..

I saw the same post on Facebook the other day. I did an internet search and couldn't find any information to back this up. So almost certainly just scaremongering.

I think this is highly unlikely and just another scare story to be honest.
Covid doesn't last for more than about 24 hours on cardboard.
So a company spraying boxes on dispatch would be pointless, as they would be in transit for at least this long.
Plus porous surfaces (like cardboard) have proven to be fairly poor transmitters of the disease - so I don't think there are many companies out there wasting their time and money, and risking their products, by spraying them with huge amounts of disinfectant.
Additionally unless every company sprayed every package they could technically become 'contaminated' again the minute they were handled by the transport company, or touched other packages in transit.
If you are ultra high risk and contamination from mail is a concern then the best way to address this is to place you packages somewhere like a garage for a day or two after delivery.
Mass spraying at the point of dispatch is pointless and I imagine this is why no one is doing it.

I also added this onto the post yesterday.
This was an update on the original post.
View attachment 161322
I would seriously question the source of this post and the information in it.

Firstly they mention talking to a Dr. rather than a vet, despite the fact that the post seems to be about birds?
Surely if they are discussing animal safety they should be speaking with a vet.

The 'zinc in glue in non food packing' is one that has been flying (see what I did there - flying?) around bird forums for years*, and is another one of those urban myths that has never really been proven.
Some glues, on some packing may contain small amounts of things like borax or zinc but the amounts are almost undetectable in the very few studies that have ever been done and I could never find a single study that directly linked the death of a bird to having chewed cardboard and ingested excessive amounts of toxins from he glue.
Now disinfectant seems to have been thrown into the mix as a result of Covid, but the 'poisonous packing' rumours are not new, and have always remained unproven.
Obviously everyone needs to do what they feel is best for their pets, and if you have any concerns then do your own research, look for reputable sites and reliable scientific research done by actual scientists at established academic institutions.
Posts on social media can rarely be proven or backed up by real evidence and generally reply on spreading fear rather than useful information.

*Just to add that I owned birds for 17 years and was on multiple bird forums and chat groups, so this is not the first time I have heard this story.

Back