Emeraid meant for one pig but eaten by the other!

HeatherW

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Until a couple of weeks ago, Jasmine was a single pig living with neighbours but now I've finally found her a friend: Belle. :) While they get along wonderfully, Belle is the dominant pig and very much a foodie!

A bit of background:
Before Belle, Jasmine had surgery to remove ovarian cysts (Jasmine slowly losing weight) and has never recovered her weight. She's nearly 5 years old now, so I believe she is unlikely to. She was a very steady ~1030g and has since hovered around 770g. We also know that she has kidney cysts which make it hard for her to gain and even retain weight, although the vet was very pleased with her when she had a check-up earlier this month.

However, Belle has taken to pushing Jasmine out of the way and devouring all the Emeraid in one sitting. Jasmine is more of a slow eater, nibbling bits at a time. I was giving her a scoop twice a day and Jasmine would finish it over the course of the day/night, but now she doesn't get the chance!

I'm worried that she'll start to lose more weight. It's only been two weeks, but the scales are already showing her at 737g today, which is some of the lowest she's been. Short of removing her from the cage and syringe feeding it all to her twice a day, does anyone have any other ideas?!

Thank you!

Until a couple of weeks ago, Jasmine was a single pig living with neighbours but now I've finally found her a friend: Belle. :) While they get along wonderfully, Belle is the dominant pig and very much a foodie!

A bit of background:
Before Belle, Jasmine had surgery to remove ovarian cysts (Jasmine slowly losing weight) and has never recovered her weight. She's nearly 5 years old now, so I believe she is unlikely to. She was a very steady ~1030g and has since hovered around 770g. We also know that she has kidney cysts which make it hard for her to gain and even retain weight, although the vet was very pleased with her when she had a check-up earlier this month.

However, Belle has taken to pushing Jasmine out of the way and devouring all the Emeraid in one sitting. Jasmine is more of a slow eater, nibbling bits at a time. I was giving her a scoop twice a day and Jasmine would finish it over the course of the day/night, but now she doesn't get the chance!

I'm worried that she'll start to lose more weight. It's only been two weeks, but the scales are already showing her at 737g today, which is some of the lowest she's been. Short of removing her from the cage and syringe feeding it all to her twice a day, does anyone have any other ideas?!

Thank you!

Oh dear!
I would recommend either removing Jasmine and feeding it to her separately, or removing Belle for a cuddle/treat while Jasmine gets her Emeraid undisturbed.

Would giving them a little dish each work?
I know whenever one of mine has needed a boost it’s always Micah’s nose first in the CC so I put 2 little dishes in the cage.

I can never give little Lolo anything (to help her keep up weight) with Luigi around, it always has to be separate or it’s hoovered by the porker, even if another dish or something to distract him! 🙄 He’s a mean hubby that pinches everything from the poor girl! Thankfully she’ll eat now out of the cage (as too shy before!) which is far easier!
Hope the distraction works and Jasmine can get her weight back on and keep it bless her ❤️

Belle: Putting the "pig" in guinea pig

Jasmine and I have worked out a tactic between us. She will go up to the balcony and I'll plonk the bowl of Emeraid straight in while Belle is too busy begging on the main floor below. :D

So far, Jasmine's weight is hovering between 730g-750g. :)

Back