EmerAid Herbivore

Andy33335

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, i have a boy that had a bladder stone that was removed 2 years ago. Still has sludge and two tiny stones in his kidneys and we are on a low calcium diet. Because he is a senior he and cannot mentain weight, i want to help him with EmerAid, which is a critical care. But on the bag it says it has 1% calcium. Is 1% a lot? What do you think?

Hello, i have a boy that had a bladder stone that was removed 2 years ago. Still has sludge and two tiny stones in his kidneys and we are on a low calcium diet. Because he is a senior he and cannot mentain weight, i want to help him with EmerAid, which is a critical care. But on the bag it says it has 1% calcium. Is 1% a lot? What do you think?

Hi!

I am feeding it to my own very ill guinea pigs; it is perfectly safe to use. 1% is about as low as you can get.

Please be aware that too low calcium in the diet can also contribute to sludge and stones. There is a sweet spot between too much and too little calcium, which varies depending on local conditions since most calcium comes with the water (which should be ideally filtered or in persistent cases low calcium bottled water) and pellets (even no added calcium pellets contain more weight by weight than the veg highest in it, kale). More crucial in the long term is cut out veg high in oxalates, which we have done. Our diet recommendations have been found by trial and error over the years and been refined (and continue to do so) as new research and experiences flow into them - but at least we know that they essentially work in most circumstances.
However, since calcium absorption is a very complex process and quite a bit can go wrong, not to mention that some piggies seem to have a genetic disposition and are not the best of drinkers, diet can only do so much and is not a quick fix.
Our diet recommendations for guinea pigs with urinary tract issues can be found here: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I use ic emeraid when not eating much, but as the guinea pig gets better I use emeraid sustain herbivore as has more fibre.l like using both of these, as good value for money.

I think the Emeraid IC and sustain seem to be liked by most piggies, Ted absolutely hated all the other brands

Back