Embarking On A New Adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mummyfi2010

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there!

So after much deliberation we have decided to get a guinea pig! I've done a lot of reading around and the advice on this forum has been fabulous! We have a little girl who will shortly be 6 and feel that it is the perfect time to introduce her to the responsibility of having a pet (I don't for a minute expect her to care for a piggy on her own but do expect her to invest time with it and help with feeding). We went to a local pet shop (I know possibly not ideal but they also do adoption) we got to handle a couple of piggies (the shop handles them daily) and could see that one was as cool as a cucumber & the other not as much. We enquired about adopting 2 piggies there but were advised that they probably wouldn't suit us as they were already quite elderly & more suited to an experienced owner! Anyway i digress! If it were a dog or a cat Or big farm animal I'd be fine but having never had a piggy before I'm actually a bit nervous!

This is my plan of action and I just wanted some advice if I was going down the right lines:

We are going to get a cage from c&c it's the 150 x 80cm approx. for 2 piggies. We don't have anywhere in our living room for them in that size of cage but do in the playroom off the living room which I plan on spending time in. I have a relative who makes cardboard bedding for piggies & a local farmer who sells hay.

We are going to get the cage set up already for the piggies to come home to & get them during a 4 day holiday from school at the end of September (we are in Scotland) so we can all spend time getting to know each other.

how does that all sound?

My questions are:
How long should i leave piggies before I start spot cleaning their cage?
When should I start & daughter start handling them?

I might be over thinking this & considering I grew up with animals should i just let them dictate the pace?

Thanks in advance!​

Hi there!

So after much deliberation we have decided to get a guinea pig! I've done a lot of reading around and the advice on this forum has been fabulous! We have a little girl who will shortly be 6 and feel that it is the perfect time to introduce her to the responsibility of having a pet (I don't for a minute expect her to care for a piggy on her own but do expect her to invest time with it and help with feeding). We went to a local pet shop (I know possibly not ideal but they also do adoption) we got to handle a couple of piggies (the shop handles them daily) and could see that one was as cool as a cucumber & the other not as much. We enquired about adopting 2 piggies there but were advised that they probably wouldn't suit us as they were already quite elderly & more suited to an experienced owner! Anyway i digress! If it were a dog or a cat Or big farm animal I'd be fine but having never had a piggy before I'm actually a bit nervous!

This is my plan of action and I just wanted some advice if I was going down the right lines:

We are going to get a cage from c&c it's the 150 x 80cm approx. for 2 piggies. We don't have anywhere in our living room for them in that size of cage but do in the playroom off the living room which I plan on spending time in. I have a relative who makes cardboard bedding for piggies & a local farmer who sells hay.

We are going to get the cage set up already for the piggies to come home to & get them during a 4 day holiday from school at the end of September (we are in Scotland) so we can all spend time getting to know each other.

how does that all sound?

My questions are:
How long should i leave piggies before I start spot cleaning their cage?
When should I start & daughter start handling them?

I might be over thinking this & considering I grew up with animals should i just let them dictate the pace?

Thanks in advance!​

Please let your piggies dictate the pace. it takes about two days for them to start gettin their bearings, but much longer to settle in fully; don't give them run/playtime before they are not confident with their cage. If I were you, I would rather emphasize watching guinea pigs at playtime and making cheap toys and objects to explore for them with your child than cuddling. Many guinea pigs will never quite enjoy cuddles, just tolerate them, to be honest.
Start handling when they come to you for food, if possible, so they have learned to start trusting you by then and are not worried about your hands. We have got tips on what you need to be aware of when petting guinea pigs and how you can use guinea pig body language and behaviours to interact with them in a way that they immediately understand.

You can find lots of detailed tips and information via our new owners' kit.
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back