Electric fans in the summer

Fluffy17

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys!
So I'm probably too early to ask this but i don’t wanna risk anything and be prepared.

I was thinking in buying an electric fan for the summer.

are electric fans safe for guinea pigs ?

Especially when I'm not home and at night time and can’t turn the A/C on for long periods of time (especially for the outcome of the electric bills lol) i was thinking in leaving electric fans on sometimes.

like if they dont have access to the spinning blades it should be... maybe have it pointed so it circulates the air instead of pointed right at them. you could also spend the few bucks and get a blade-less fan and not have to worry about it at all.

Certainly not too early! Best to make sure you are prepared before any summer hits.

The priority in summer is keeping the room cool in the first place - a fan isn’t the way to do that.

The issue with fans is that if the room gets too hot, then all the fan does is blow warm air around.

The guide below explains everything in more detail but basically stopping sun beating in in the first place is the best method. Things like ensuring windows and blinds/ curtains are closed in the hottest part of the day. Only open them in mornings and evenings where there is cooler air movement, airing the house out during those cooler times etc.
Covering windows with wet sheets is a great way to help keep the room cool.

Using a fan is fine but make sure it is never pointed at the piggies.

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

The priority in summer is keeping the room cool in the first place - a fan isn’t the way to do that.

The issue with fans is that if the room gets too hot, then all the fan does is blow warm air around.
They did say they have an AC but can't keep it on all day long, which is reasonable. the ac should be able to maintain the house to a good temperature and a fan will help distribute it around when the ac is off. Maybe they could get an electrical outlet timer and set it to turn the AC on for an hour when they're away at work. costs maybe 25 bucks for a good name brand one. that would make sure help cool it down when the day it at its hottest.

They did say they have an AC but can't keep it on all day long, which is reasonable. the ac should be able to maintain the house to a good temperature and a fan will help distribute it around when the ac is off. Maybe they could get an electrical outlet timer and set it to turn the AC on for an hour when they're away at work. costs maybe 25 bucks for a good name brand one. that would make sure help cool it down when the day it at its hottest.

That sounds fine. As a UK based forum most of us don’t have air conditioning in this country hence the guide and other cost-free cooling methods to ensure a room stays cool enough during the day and doesn’t heat up when closed up during the day without the need for electrical equipment to be running.

like if they dont have access to the spinning blades it should be... maybe have it pointed so it circulates the air instead of pointed right at them. you could also spend the few bucks and get a blade-less fan and not have to worry about it at all.
Tysm! I just ordered a blade-less one ❤️

Certainly not too early! Best to make sure you are prepared before any summer hits.

The guide below explains everything in more detail but basically stopping sun beating in in the first place is the best method. Things like ensuring windows and blinds/ curtains are closed in the hottest part of the day. Only open them in mornings and evenings where there is cooler air movement, airing the house out during those cooler times etc.
Covering windows with wet sheets is a great way to help keep the room cool.

Using a fan is fine but make sure it is never pointed at the piggies.

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Tysm! Needed this guide.
Are fly strikes that common? 🫣 sounds terrifying

Also would you think fleece is still good bedding in the summer?

Tysm! Needed this guide.
Are fly strikes that common? 🫣 sounds terrifying

It should not be common - checking bottoms throughout a summer day particularly in older less mobile animals, and ensuring cages are kept clean is so important and fly strike can be prevented.
It happens though and it can happen very quickly.

Also would you think fleece is still good bedding in the summer?

Yes it’s fine

It should not be common - checking bottoms throughout a summer day particularly in older less mobile animals, and ensuring cages are kept clean is so important and fly strike can be prevented.
It happens though and it can happen very quickly.

Yes it’s fine
Thank you!

I have a bladeless fan - very easy to clean and very effective - I adjust mine away from the piggies and keep the curtains near them closed. I’ve also added thermal linings to the curtains that keep heat in (in the Winter) and sun out ( in the Summer)

Back