• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Elderly pig needs a dental procedure

Cain Piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 7 year old boar who needs a dental procedure. He chipped his tooth in March and our cavy savvy vet recommended that we wait and see how it grew back as my guinea pig was eating, drinking, pottying, and acting normally. It initially grew back fine and he didn't lose any weight or have a change in habits. Unfortunately it now looks overgrown and his other incisors are uneven. I took him to a different vet this week who also sees exotics and found that his back molars also need to be filed (our normal cavy savvy vet is opening their own practice dedicated to small mammals and is only providing house calls at the moment while the new practice is being opened). They recommended scheduling a procedure soon where my guinea pig will be under general anesthesia.

I scheduled the procedure with the new vet for next week but am feeling nervous. First, I am worried about the anesthesia because of his age. They said his lungs and heart sound good but he does have a tendency to become gassy or bloat easily. I'm located in the northeast of the United States and haven't been able to find anywhere that does conscious dental procedures in the area (although I could look more).

I also keep questioning if this is the right vet to go with. They are definitely specialized in exotics and are aware of the needs that guinea pigs have during anesthesia, but when I asked if they had done this specific procedure on guinea pigs before they responded that they had done dental procedures on rabbits and rodents and much more complicated surgeries on other exotic animals. While this is good to know, I worry that this vet doesn't have much experience with guinea pig teeth particularly and that my guinea pig will have a difficult time recovering if his teeth are filed incorrectly.

Meanwhile, our normal vet will be opening their new practice in a few months and said we could hopefully schedule a procedure in September. I would ideally have the procedure with this vet because they are more specialized with rabbits and rodents and we have never had a bad experience with them in the past. My guinea pig is still eating and acting normally and has not lost any weight. He still zooms around, popcorns, and wheeks, and is doing well for his age, so I would hate for this procedure to go wrong. However, I don't want to chance his molars overgrowing in the next few months and making him uncomfortable, preventing him from eating, or entrapping his tongue and then not having a surgery lined up.

TL;DR: I wonder if I should call the new vet and ask for even more details on their experience to inform my decision or wait until September to schedule something with the vet I know. Alternatively, I could research other vets in the area more and try to schedule something with someone else this summer. Or maybe I am overthinking everything and should just go with the soonest appointment. Does anyone have any thoughts, know of any vets in the Northeastern United States who provide good dental care for guinea pigs, or have any experience with senior pigs and dental procedures/anesthesia?

Thanks for reading this long post!

Is your piggy eating okay? That would be my first question, if so i'd maybe be holding off until i could see my regular cavy savy vet with regular checks especially to check on overgrowth and trapping the tongue - could the vet you found fit in an emergency apt if needed later on rather than go for it, if it is not causing issues, but obviously if needs must then you have to go ahead before. Gonna tag in @furryfriends (TEAS) for some advice as she is expert on dental issues.

welcome to the forum btw. Be lovely if you'd post some photos of your piggy in our photos section for us all to :drool: over

Thank you for the warm welcome and sending over the Guinea Lynx resources! Our cavy savvy vet is on the Guinea Lynx vet list which is good to know and I've just posted my questions also on the Guinea Lynx forum.

My piggy is eating okay and has not lost any weight! I'm not sure if this vet could squeeze in an emergency appointment - sometimes they have a long wait, but they were able to make space for his procedure next week pretty quickly.

Thank you for the warm welcome and sending over the Guinea Lynx resources! Our cavy savvy vet is on the Guinea Lynx vet list which is good to know and I've just posted my questions also on the Guinea Lynx forum.

My piggy is eating okay and has not lost any weight! I'm not sure if this vet could squeeze in an emergency appointment - sometimes they have a long wait, but they were able to make space for his procedure next week pretty quickly.
Its a tricky decision with no right or wrong answer

Welcome to the forum
You are in between a rock and a hard place, so sorry
If your elderly piggie is eating fine and doing everything normal and not loosing weight then I would wait until the vet you know and trust opens again. If his eating goes downhill you could book him for an emergency dental at these other vets or your preferred vet if you can make that arrangement with them?
I can very much understand your concerns with General Anaethetic especially due to his age and the other vets rather vague experience. Guinea pigs differ from rabbits because rabbits will eat even if the dental hasn’t been performed well whereas guinea pigs have a tendency to struggle eating afterwards unless the dental has been performed correctly.
I would still do some research to find a back up too. Obviously, you must do what sits with you best, good luck 🤞

Back