Eco-nest for hay box?

Qpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two girls are in a C&C with fleece and bath mats. They both have a large plastic box with a hole cut in for their hay activities. We line the box with a puppy pad, put a thick layer of wood shavings and go bonkers with the meadow hay! They love it, but I've noticed I'm having issues with the wood shavings. It may just be this current brand, but I'm finding I wheeze a lot when changing the shavings - no issues for my husband or the pigs. I get my hay from a company called Pillow Wad and I saw they do a cardboard based bedding called Eco-Nest. Would this work as a replacement for wood shavings in the boxes? Because this is their main toilet/bed/dining room, I need it to be absorbant but also not completely eaten as I know cardboard can be a tasty snack.

Eco-Nest | Buy Premium Pet Feed & Bedding | Pillow Wad

Here is Muffin having a wee half in her box! Such a lady :xd:

Attachments

• 20240812_162017.webp
    20240812_162017.webp
    98.1 KB · Views: 1
I just have a puppy pad at the bottom of the boys' hay trays and fill them up with hay. Why don't you try without the econest or shavings and see how you get on.

I used to use paper based bedding under their hay, but the puppy pad is enough on its own for me.

I have been sent samples of the eco nest but I wasn’t impressed as it just gets very wet and stays wet.
I use back2nature under my hair area and have done for years, it’s expensive but if you are only using it in trays you won’t need to buy it too often.

I didn't get on with wood shavings, I found it messy, smelly and I worried because Sir George liked eating it. I now use wood pellet litter, I think it is really good for absorbing urine smells. Apart from an occasional experimental nibble my boys don't eat the pellets at all.

So I've used a number of paper beddings over the years - typically Back2Nature and Megazorb, but also beddings like Carefresh and it sounds like that'd be similar to the Eco-Nest.

Carefresh was what I used before the price got insane and I'd bought some Kaytee Clean & Cozy back in May which is very similar. I wasn't impressed. Somehow it'd get dusty and end up in the water bowl no matter where I had the bowl. I love Megazorb, but I'd recommend trying Back2Nature. The only real downside to it is the weight, and those little pellets can hold a lot of liquid.

So I've used a number of paper beddings over the years - typically Back2Nature and Megazorb, but also beddings like Carefresh and it sounds like that'd be similar to the Eco-Nest.

Carefresh was what I used before the price got insane and I'd bought some Kaytee Clean & Cozy back in May which is very similar. I wasn't impressed. Somehow it'd get dusty and end up in the water bowl no matter where I had the bowl. I love Megazorb, but I'd recommend trying Back2Nature. The only real downside to it is the weight, and those little pellets can hold a lot of liquid.

I've been using the Back2Nature and it works really well BUT I struggle with it! I end up with a streaming nose after a box change. Is there much dust/smell to Megazorb? I can only see massive bags available which puts me off a little.

Back