Eating normal poops

weepweeps

Senior Guinea Pig
Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Is it ok if Percy eats all of his poops? Not just a special ones? He’s just sat here and eaten them all.

thank's for asking this I was wondering the same thing

Anybody is welcome to ask the little questions on here without being shot down. You can be assured that you will have lots of other people being grateful because they don't have the courage.

We are all learning and there is no such thing like a silly question.

Yes, it is OK.
It’s just not okay for them to consume any pee then ? I always thought they were both unsanitary but I caught My 3 month old baby just eating her poops earlier today too because she ran out of her pellets and I’ve even noticed her moving her poops to her food bowl when it’s empty as well I’ve been feeding her 1 Tbs a day of the alfalfa pelletes for babies I’m wondering if I should be giving her more Pellets to prevent this or if I should just let her eat her poop?

It’s just not okay for them to consume any pee then ? I always thought they were both unsanitary but I caught My 3 month old baby just eating her poops earlier today too because she ran out of her pellets and I’ve even noticed her moving her poops to her food bowl when it’s empty as well I’ve been feeding her 1 Tbs a day of the alfalfa pelletes for babies I’m wondering if I should be giving her more Pellets to prevent this or if I should just let her eat her poop?

Eating poop is perfectly normal.

Pellets need to only be one tablespoon per pig per day - please don’t give more than that. Piggies should not have constant access to pellets so once the tablespoon is gone, then no more pellets until the next day
Please do also note that she should not be having any alfalfa after she is four months of age (they actually don’t need alfalfa at all after they are three weeks old). It is too high in calcium. She should have normal adult pellets (which they can actually have from birth) which are hay based.

Oh see I’m still learning I was told they could be on alfalfa pellets up until they are 4 months but if she’s on the pellets not to give her any alfalfa hay because that’ll be too much alfalfa in her diet thank you for clearing that up. I’m also having trouble figuring how to give her a whole cup of veggies without giving her too much of each veggie because I know a lot of them need to be fed in moderation so what exactly could I be giving her the most of each day ?

Oh see I’m still learning I was told they could be on alfalfa pellets up until they are 4 months but if she’s on the pellets not to give her any alfalfa hay because that’ll be too much alfalfa in her diet thank you for clearing that up. I’m also having trouble figuring how to give her a whole cup of veggies without giving her too much of each veggie because I know a lot of them need to be fed in moderation so what exactly could I be giving her the most of each day ?

Its best if you start your own thread for ongoing advice, but, safe daily veggies are lettuce (not iceberg) bell pepper, cucumber, coriander/cilantro and a green bean.
Anything else can be fed but in moderation ie high calcium veggies to fed only once per week but as you are giving alfalfa then it may be best to give even less high calcium veggies while they are having alfalfa.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Hello. My two boys get breakfast which is two green beans, an inch of cucumber, two slices of green bell pepper, 1 romaine lettuce leaf and some coriander. Then they get the same again at bedtime. Sometimes I give basil, parsley, a tiny bit of carrot or sweetcorn. I don’t give fruit or tomatoes.

Hi

Alfalfa is good for piggies from less than ideal backgrounds but the extra amounts needed for guinea pigs in good care are truly minute. If you you feed alfalfa based products, then please keep to adult pellet volume recommendations; otherwise you just give a little bit more than the 1 tablespoon of pellets we recommend during the first weeks if it eases your mind. What you should not do is be tempted to throw the kitchen sink at your piggies and always try to be 'extra' good and overdo things rather than just doing them.

To be honest, the piggy babies born here or adopted very young have just had a little more extra pellets in the first weeks but no other considerations. Many of them that weren't unlucky to inherit a major genetic fault due to uncontrolled inbreeding have lived to 8 years or very close to - including several from really bad backgrounds born to badly neglected back-to-back pregnant sows. By now, it can no longer be down to me just being lucky.

In my very own long term experience it is not the extras you give to youngsters that make any major difference in life expectancy or long term health but a good plain general life-long diet that can indeed really add extra years to a healthy average life span because they get what they really need every single day of their lives. You still have a little wiggle room for personal adaptations. New insights filter through all the time; they are often controversial for a time but if they work, they will stay on.

Last edited:
Back