• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eating less

Shannon_nessler

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve noticed the past 2 or 3 days my piggies aren’t eating there pellets, when I feed them the next day the bowls are nearly full and barely touched. I did switch there food a while back but I’ve already gone through an entire bag and I’m on my second so I’m not sure why there not eating it, they are continuing to eat their hay and devouring their veggies. Any answers or advice would be extremely appreciated!

Welcome to the forum

Pellets are the least important part of the diet and it doesn’t matter if they don’t eat them. Hay is the most important part of the diet and makes up 80% of what they should eat in a day.
The only way to know they are eating enough hay is with the routine weekly weight checks.
If your piggies weights at stable at each weekly check then you don’t need to be concerned.
If they are losing weight then they are not eating enough hay. In that case you need to step in syringe feeding and see a vet.

Veg is one cup per pig per day. It’s supplementary in the diet.

They should never have a bowl full of pellets available to them though - it should be a maximum of one tablespoon per pig per day.
Too many pellets are unhealthy, cause obesity, too much calcium into the diet (which can lead to bladder problems) and cause them to not eat enough hay which can lead to dental and gut issues.
Mine get 5 pellets each and I only give them those 5 pellets each just twice a week. They simply don’t need them in their diet.

The codes below explain further

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Back