Eating hay

SarahO

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. Cookie is no longer wanting to eat out of his haybag since his operation at the beginning of the year. I find that the hay is being wasted as I put it in his litter tray and he will sit on most of it. I don’t have any cardboard boxes to store it in his cage so wondered if anyone had any ideas about getting something suitable for him?

There is nothing wrong with sitting on the hay and it shouldn’t be considered wasted. Hay, while it is their main food source, is much more than just their food- it’s fun and enrichment also. They enjoy being amongst it, foraging through it etc.
I don’t use any way of containing their hay - I simply throw it in a pile on the cage floor and they immediately dive into it, forage through, run and play in it. They eat so much more being able to just be amongst it and eat where they lay.

If you don’t want to just put it on the cage floor (if yore using fleece it sticks. Mine are on disposable bedding so it’s not an issue), then I’d personally encourage you to just continue using the litter trays. Empty them daily and top up with fresh hay

Mine are housed on hay, they sit in it, poop and pee in it and still like to burrow under it and eat it. Don’t consider it waste, dirty old hay gives them endless pleasure just make sure you top up regularly 😊

Back