• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

ears?

• Thread starter Thread starter cavy love
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say usually when you give them their regular bath every 1-3 months if you work the shampoo into their ears and use your fingers to clean out any dirt that should be enough. I guess if there's a lot of wax and dead skin building up perhaps give him/her a bath more often. Don't worry about the dangers of getting shampoo in their ears. As long as it is recommended as safe and effective for use on guinea pigs it won't harm them.

i thought that pampered piggies say you shouldn't get shampoo in the ear? couldn't it cause infection if water got in? i check them all over weekly, and i haven't seen any probs, well only with bluebell, but she's having drops. i just wondered. i'll remove it as i see it i think :)

I do not bath my pigs on a regular basis,this dries out the natural oils in the skin . If a piggy has a mucky bottom I just give a bottom wash.I would bath if a piggy had a fungal infection,but the last piggy I had here with a fungal infection was 12 years ago and he came in with the infection.

Sometimes I bath a piggy with mites,in between the Ivomectin doses.It depends how itchy/scabby the pigs are.

My pigs are bathed 4-6 wheekly with Gorgeous Guineas which has not dried out their skin and actually improves their coats. I had one piggy that was rehomed and regularly bathed in Vetsect Repel, it was amazing to see the difference in his coat and my own pigs. I've found bathing improves the condition of my pigs coat etc. Fungal infection is flaky/dead skin, it doesn't have to be scabby and with bathing it won't get that bad :)

Regarding ears some need doing more often than others :) Mine get done when its needed.

mine are bathed 4-6 weekly too with GG i thought that was supposed to help the skin :)
ok i will do it as needed. how do you clean them?

I believe it puts moisture back into the skin and does not strip the skin of essential oils, GG are not allowed to claim this themselves its against the law ::) But I've not had problems :)

I'll send you my bathing document if you want, it was my newsletter subject last wheek :) Send me your email addy if you want it :)

Very conflicting confusing advise here ,especially for new owners.The best thing to do,in fact what we should all do,is research and decide what you think is best for YOUR piggies.

Very true Mary and by putting all our opinions people can see the options that they have and can research :) Good post :)

cavy love said:
i thought that pampered piggies say you shouldn't get shampoo in the ear? couldn't it cause infection if water got in? i check them all over weekly, and i haven't seen any probs, well only with bluebell, but she's having drops. i just wondered. i'll remove it as i see it i think :)

You should do your best not to get too much water inside the ear, but what I do is get some shampoo in my hands and make a lather and rub that into their outer ears, clearing any dirt as I go, and carefully rinse. I would NOT advise trying to wash deep inside the ear as this can cause infection.

I personally would not soap in the ears I just get a little damp cloth or cotton wool and clean the area if it looks bad. When shampooing a piggy I sometimes take some of the soap suds/froth and gently clean the outer part of the ears if they need it. :)
Some of my piggies get bathed more so than others, if they have dirty bottoms then a bum bath is all that I would do. I have to admit I have never bathed Ronald and Donald and they have fantastic coats, I have chosen not to bath them because it has taken them a long time for them to trust me or any human tbh so I have just let them be, I would however bath them if they needed it or had a fungal infection :)

well i'm not really a new owner, but i've never had probs with piggies ears (too much wax) until now, and i thought it would help to clean them out regularly. i check them over once a week, but i've never seen wax before. thanks karenrgpr, i'm on your mailing list and haven't got round to reading it yet, but will do soon. isn't that just about bathing though? i know how to bath thanks O0
i think i'll just use damp cotton wool if i ever see any O0

I only clean my piggies ears if I see a buildup of black wax because if left this could attract mites.I use a cotton bud dampened with olive oil.I only wipe round the outer lobe of the ear, never poke the bud into the ear.I do not get this problem very often and for some reason I do not know(I will have to look into this)it is mainly black or dark coloured Abbys that get the excess wax.

My list is about all things piggy. The last letter was about bathing, starting from the basics and included ears- do NOT put shampoo directly into ears, suds/lather as Dazie says can be used. There's so much you can write so it will be spread over different letters :)
I've had excess wax in all pigs. Pure and crossbreed.

ok thanks karen, i will look at the last newsletter. thank you also mary, thats very helpful. i will only clean the ears if i see the wax as you've mentioned. my bluebell is a smoothaired crested and she has been having excess wax lately. i have been using otodex eardrops for her, as recommended by people on here, because there was a huge amount in there. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back