Ears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiamolly123

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How do you safely clean piggies ears, 1 of my ones had loads of wax, I cleaned round the ear & just over the top of the wax covering the canal, I didn't go in because I didn't want to do any damage. Have I done correctly? Are there any products I should be using in or around the eye.

How do you safely clean piggies ears, 1 of my ones had loads of wax, I cleaned round the ear & just over the top of the wax covering the canal, I didn't go in because I didn't want to do any damage. Have I done correctly? Are there any products I should be using in or around the eye.

I would recommend to see a good vet over the ears for clearing them and to get a suitable product to keep on top of any future wax. Occasionally a piggy is very prone to waxy ears.
Guinea Pig Vet Locator

How do you safely clean piggies ears, 1 of my ones had loads of wax, I cleaned round the ear & just over the top of the wax covering the canal, I didn't go in because I didn't want to do any damage. Have I done correctly? Are there any products I should be using in or around the ear.

I went over top, I knew not to go inside the canel. Wiebke suggests going to a vet to learn how to do it. How do you do your piggies. This ones got an over active grease gland too.

I never clean inside the ears, Will occasionally gently with cotton pad soaked in warm water remove gunk from outside Sasspy's.

Grease gland we used to do in a bowl of water, shampoo the bum then rinse it off

I'll get him to the vet, the nurse should be able to tell me how to do it.

Usually you soften the wax with a spray or suitable ear drops and then gentle massage it out with cotton pads. Never stick a cotton but in a piggy ear! but it may worth discussing the overproduction of grease with your vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back