Earning guinea's trust

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 149086
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 149086

Hi~~
So its been almost 4 months since i brought in my male guinea pig Mocha (not sure of his age but hes a few months) and he seems to hate getting carried. He runs away, and even bit a few family members. Should I give him some personal space? How can I carry him without running away or have him make annoyed noises?

hi, there are many forums here that are very helpful for new owners. some more experienced members will probably link them when they see your post, and until then you can just go to the forum option and search for them. there is a long process for earning a guinea pigs trust, but you can start with having your guinea pig getting comfortable with eating from your hand before you move onto carrying him. you also need to get your guinea pig a friend if he's by himself. guinea pigs are extremely social animals and he'll probably feel a lot more comfortable around you when he's with another guinea pig. good luck!

hi, there are many forums here that are very helpful for new owners. some more experienced members will probably link them when they see your post, and until then you can just go to the forum option and search for them. there is a long process for earning a guinea pigs trust, but you can start with having your guinea pig getting comfortable with eating from your hand before you move onto carrying him. you also need to get your guinea pig a friend if he's by himself. guinea pigs are extremely social animals and he'll probably feel a lot more comfortable around you when he's with another guinea pig. good luck!
Thanks!

Most piggies will never like being picked up and carried as to them being picked up equates to being eaten by a predator. It’s best to always herd them into a carrier or box rather than pick them up with your hand.

Is he a single piggy? If so, then please do look to get him a friend. Guinea pigs are herd animals and boars always need to be kept in pairs. Single piggies get lonely and can make settling in harder for them as they don’t have a friend to turn to for comfort.

The guides below will help further

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely
Companionship

Most piggies will never like being picked up and carried as to them being picked up equates to being eaten by a predator. It’s best to always herd them into a carrier or box rather than pick them up with your hand.

Is he a single piggy? If so, then please do look to get him a friend. Guinea pigs are herd animals and boars always need to be kept in pairs. Single piggies get lonely and can make settling in harder for them as they don’t have a friend to turn to for comfort.

The guides below will help further

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely
Companionship
Thank you! :)

Back