Early wake up call

Bigsize9fot

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

My daughter has 2 female guineas that she keeps in her room with her. We’ve had them about a year and they are roughly 2-3 (rescues)
They have started to beg in the morning for their nuggets. One of them (Tilly) tugs on the bars of the cage continually until fed. They’ve started to do this earlier and earlier and my daughter is wakened quite early. Tilly will also tug the cage at various other points of the day- usually for veg or other food.

They have a large supply of hay every day (it doesn’t run out) and are given a tablespoon of nuggets each morning and a selection of the veg detailed on this page in the evening.

I suspect there may be nothing that can be done but thought I’d ask if anyone has encountered this issue and if there was anything that might help.

B

They will use every opportunity to beg for food if they know someone is there. You just have to be strong and not give in. I used to fluff up their hay or top it up if they did this. That seemed to stop them eventually.

I think they are just trying it on. Your daughter must just try to ignore them. Once they know they will not be getting anything nice they should stop. Does she top up their hay just before bed so they have plenty all night. Be strong. Don’t give in.

Thank you! She is going to try and ignore them for the next week while and try topping up the hay at night. Tillie will also tug the bars for hay but there is always plenty there.

It used to serve as a handy alarm in the morning and would coincide with my daughter getting up. They’ve been getting earlier and earlier though and the other day I heard them at 430am!

Fingers crossed!

I wouldn’t top up their hay at that time. If you/she know you’ve given them a fresh pile before bed then I’d leave them to it. Summer holidays are coming up so hopefully the early waking won’t matter so much.

You could try covering the grid/bar with cardboard for the chewing.

I wouldn’t top up their hay at that time. If you/she know you’ve given them a fresh pile before bed then I’d leave them to it. Summer holidays are coming up so hopefully the early waking won’t matter so much.

You could try covering the grid/bar with cardboard for the chewing.
Thanks that’s a good idea. See how the next few nights go. Short term pain for long term gain hopefully. I’ve topped up their hay tonight so see how that goes.

Back