Ear Cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco&Luna

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys clean your pig ears regularly? I've owned guinea pigs for over 5 years and had 4 pigs and have never done this? I read it on something called the happy cavy blog showing how to clean your pigs ears out with mineral oil and a cotton bud, do you guys do this? I just had a look in the pig ears, but I don't even know what ear wax looks like? is it black?

I have to say - just like it says in a section of the article you have given a link for ...

DO NOT stick the cotton buds inside your guinea pig’s ears!

Just a slight poke or prod can seriously damage a guinea pig’s ear. If you suspect that your guinea pig has a large build-up of earwax, schedule a vet appointment where a deep ear cleaning can be safely performed.

I think the intention is to prevent a build up of wax on the outside of you guinea pigs' ears

I have to say - just like it says in a section of the article you have given a link for ...

Just a slight poke or prod can seriously damage a guinea pig’s ear. If you suspect that your guinea pig has a large build-up of earwax, schedule a vet appointment where a deep ear cleaning can be safely performed.

I think the intention is to prevent a build up of wax on the outside of you guinea pigs' ears

I fully agree with @PiggyOwner - DO NOT stick a cotton bud in the ears and DO NOT use mineral oil!

If you notice a lot of dirt in your piggies' ears, please see a vet for a suitable ear spray that will dissolve ear wax overnight, so you can gently remove it with a bit of loose cotton wool. Ear wax always has the same colour as the skin of the piggy's ears.

Yeah, kinna like the way your supposed to do with your own ears, I gathered that. I wouldnt go shoving two foot of cotton bud into their heads lol ;)
But i've never cleaned their ears at all & was wanting to know if you guys do as is advised in the article and clean around their ears.
& also what does earwax looks like, is it the same colour as ours? because i wouldnt know what a build-up of wax looks like if i don't even know what earwax looks like in the first place, especially in black ears?

ahhh ok, just curious. :tu: so if Luna has black ears, her earwax is black? lol....chameleon ear wax!

Yeah, kinna like the way your supposed to do with your own ears, I gathered that. I wouldnt go shoving two foot of cotton bud into their heads lol ;)
But i've never cleaned their ears at all & was wanting to know if you guys do as is advised in the article and clean around their ears.
& also what does earwax looks like, is it the same colour as ours? because i wouldnt know what a build-up of wax looks like if i don't even know what earwax looks like in the first place, especially in black ears?

I have just answered most your question in my last post. I check the ears regularly; most of my piggies' ears are actually perfectly fine and don;t need any care. For Nerys, who suffers from getting a build up of gunk in her ears occasionally, I have got a spray from the vets.

I was shown (by Cavy Corner) to wipe the outside of the ear with a damp swab ( like makeup pads)as part of a weekly check over. I haven't had any problems - I'd be able to tell you what colour wax was if I did!

yea cheers. it was just a general question. Not a threat that I was about to start poking hard instruments into my pets eardrums. ;)

yea cheers. it was just a general question. Not a threat that I was about to start poking hard instruments into my pets eardrums. ;)

I didn't doubt you . I posted my above post in case anyone read this thread without clicking on your link.

I know a lot of humans use cotton buds to clean inside their ears - even though hoomans aren't meant to !

:DI believe that the general thinking these days is don't try cleaning them too often unless there is an obvious build up of wax. Mites or excessive wax need vet treatment.:tu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back