• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

E cuniculi?

JANE21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My pigs have had problems with bloat on and off for over a year now. The vets were at a loss after doing many different tests. Someone who works with animals suggested it could be E cuniculi. They haven't had any neurological symptoms just the on and off bloat. Does EC cause bloating? Worried me as I have lots of other animals. It didn't cross my mind as that was their only symptom. Thank you for helping me.

My pigs have had problems with bloat on and off for over a year now. The vets were at a loss after doing many different tests. Someone who works with animals suggested it could be E cuniculi. They haven't had any neurological symptoms just the on and off bloat. Does EC cause bloating? Worried me as I have lots of other animals. It didn't cross my mind as that was their only symptom. Thank you for helping me.

Hi and welcome

Do you keep rabbits as well as guinea pigs or are your piggies in very close contact to wild rabbits?
Is their weight and eating speed stable?

No, bloat has never been mentioned in connection with e.cuniculi to my knowledge.

This guide here contains our information on e.cuniculi in guinea pigs, reflecting the current stand of research: CBS (Calcified Bulla Syndrome) and Neurological Problems - Symptoms and Care

This is our guide to bloating but it is mainly aimed at severe bloat since it can be very difficult to work out what is behind persistent bloating. How much hay and how much veg (and what veg) are you feeding?
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

@PigglePuggle

I have done a lot of reading about E. cuniculi, when my RBB piggy Chelsea was diagnosed. I never came across bloat as a symptome as far as I can remember.

The only way I could see bloating being an issue would be secondary to another symptom. My E.cuniculi piggies range in ability, some I would imagine would have great difficulty eating from certain types of hay rack for example and not eating enough hay would cause bloating. Some of them have had nerve damage to the face making eating difficult and this did cause GI issues. But if their weight is stable, eating well and you haven't noticed any other symptoms I wouldnt see how bloating by itself would be considered a symptom. Saying that, a precautionary course of treatment likely wouldn't do any harm, my entire group is currently being treated as we've had possible symptoms cropping up with EC and non EC pigs.

Thank you so much for the replies. They're not with rabbits and were indoors when it started last year. One vet thought that cookie could have ovary cysts and that's why she had bloat. Then the other started having bloat problems. So we thought it was connected. I was told to stop giving them pellets and veg and just feed them hay after what happened with cookie while she recovers and then shortly after my other pig started having bloat. Now I'm thinking she had bloat because I stopped giving her the right diet and it wasn't connected at all. A year on they both have critical care twice a day, I've tried different types of pellets and they bloat straight away. Cookie still has flare ups but my other pig hasn't had any problems since December. So probably cysts for cookie? She has lost weight throughout the process but no neuro symptoms.

Thank you so much for the replies. They're not with rabbits and were indoors when it started last year. One vet thought that cookie could have ovary cysts and that's why she had bloat. Then the other started having bloat problems. So we thought it was connected. I was told to stop giving them pellets and veg and just feed them hay after what happened with cookie while she recovers and then shortly after my other pig started having bloat. Now I'm thinking she had bloat because I stopped giving her the right diet and it wasn't connected at all. A year on they both have critical care twice a day, I've tried different types of pellets and they bloat straight away. Cookie still has flare ups but my other pig hasn't had any problems since December. So probably cysts for cookie? She has lost weight throughout the process but no neuro symptoms.

I would certainly have Cookie checked for potential ovarian cysts; it is only the hormonal cysts that will cause the classic symptoms but not the non-hormonal fluid filled ones that can grow to quite a large size and that are more common in older sows while hormonal cysts are most common in middle-aged sow ca. 2-4 years. How old is she?
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

I hope that you are aware that pellets should only make 1 tablespoon per piggy per day anyway and are the one food group that be left out, especially if you compensate with some fresh and/or dry forage - the latter is higher in calcium.
You can find more information in our detailed diet guide: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Please be aware that we cannot diagnose what is wrong with your piggies; we don't have direct access to your piggies nor are we vets or can replace a vet. Our answers can only reflect what you are telling us.

She will be five in June bless her. They only ever had an egg cupful of pellets and they had fresh veg everyday. One minute she's fine then a few weeks later she bloats again. Having the critical care is the best they've been. I just don't know what else to do now.

She will be five in June bless her. They only ever had an egg cupful of pellets and they had fresh veg everyday. One minute she's fine then a few weeks later she bloats again. Having the critical care is the best they've been. I just don't know what else to do now.

Is she on any medication for bloating? And have you ever tried probiotics?
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

I have and have had several older piggies with ongoing mild bloating issues and a sensitive digestion where nothing obvious is wrong.

After struggling with a pig with bloating issues, ultimately what helped was a very basic diet (unlimited hay, a small amount of grain free pellets, and a few basic fresh veg daily) plus probiotics twice a week.
I lost a rabbit to E. cuniculi (she was dumped on our doorstep and already very ill) and bloat in guinea pigs is certainly not a sign of this infection.

They're both on pro C professional and I use fibreplex when it flares up. The vets gave me a bottle of metacam to use as and when it's needed. I also have gripe water on stand by. I think they've done well to get this far with it to be honest. It's so frustrating when they've always had the correct diet constant access to hay, small amount of pellets and fresh veg everyday. Then last year everything changed and I had to try all different things. Vets didn't have a clue, we were there every other week I went to an exotic vet and different practises. I sent stool samples off.. Nothing. I feel like I've let them down.

After struggling with a pig with bloating issues, ultimately what helped was a very basic diet (unlimited hay, a small amount of grain free pellets, and a few basic fresh veg daily) plus probiotics twice a week.
I lost a rabbit to E. cuniculi (she was dumped on our doorstep and already very ill) and bloat in guinea pigs is certainly not a sign of this infection.
I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit. Thank you for your reply, I couldn't find any information about it in guineapigs. I panicked when it was mentioned to me but they haven't had any neuro symptoms. I've got a budgie and a dog to think about as well you see.

They're both on pro C professional and I use fibreplex when it flares up. The vets gave me a bottle of metacam to use as and when it's needed. I also have gripe water on stand by. I think they've done well to get this far with it to be honest. It's so frustrating when they've always had the correct diet constant access to hay, small amount of pellets and fresh veg everyday. Then last year everything changed and I had to try all different things. Vets didn't have a clue, we were there every other week I went to an exotic vet and different practises. I sent stool samples off.. Nothing. I feel like I've let them down.

Please don't feel like a failure; all you can do is try to work out what is helping and what not - that is all you can do in this kind of situation once the obvious culprits have been excluded. There is no perfect gut medication for what is a very complex organ.

My 6 year old Dylan has had an increasingly tender digestion so I have taken away his obvious bloating veg; he still has plenty of hay, the veg he can eat, and a little pellets together with extra probiotics and meds whenever the bloating is giving him obvious discomfort. My vet couldn't find anything obviously wrong with him. :(
I'm not considering myself a failure just because I can't solve a problem that a vet is unable to; especially as we still come up against limits when it comes to health issues with guinea pigs all too often. The horizon has been pushed out a lot over the last 15 years or so but that only brings even nastier and more complex problems within sight.

As a long term owner with the first piggies going back into the 'Stone Age' of half a century ago, the one thing I have learned is that you can only ever do your best at any given time. You are not failing your piggies because you are not superwoman or Almighty God. What counts much more for your piggies is that you give them love and many happy todays while they live because that is how piggies measure a good life by. Concentrate on making their days happy ones filled with enrichment, as much as you can; and you will not fail them. ;)

The piggies of my childhood where not at all unhappy or unloved just because care and veterinary knowledge were rudimentary compared to today. The rest - whether what your piggies pick up or come down with and when and what from they ultimately die is out of your hands anyway.

Please don't feel like a failure; all you can do is try to work out what is helping and what not - that is all you can do in this kind of situation once the obvious culprits have been excluded. There is no perfect gut medication for what is a very complex organ.

My 6 year old Dylan has had an increasingly tender digestion so I have taken away his obvious bloating veg; he still has plenty of hay, the veg he can eat, and a little pellets together with extra probiotics and meds whenever the bloating is giving him obvious discomfort. My vet couldn't find anything obviously wrong with him. :(
I'm not considering myself a failure just because I can't solve a problem that a vet is unable to; especially as we still come up against limits when it comes to health issues with guinea pigs all too often. The horizon has been pushed out a lot over the last 15 years or so but that only brings even nastier and more complex problems within sight.

As a long term owner with the first piggies going back into the 'Stone Age' of half a century ago, the one thing I have learned is that you can only ever do your best at any given time. You are not failing your piggies because you are not superwoman or Almighty God. What counts much more for your piggies is that you give them love and many happy todays while they live because that is how piggies measure a good life by. Concentrate on making their days happy ones filled with enrichment, as much as you can; and you will not fail them. ;)

The piggies of my childhood where not at all unhappy or unloved just because care and veterinary knowledge were rudimentary compared to today. The rest - whether what your piggies pick up or come down with and when and what from they ultimately die is out of your hands anyway.
Thank you, you've made me feel a lot better. I've had sleepless nights up with them making sure they're moving around medicating them every couple of hours and I haven't had to do that for months. They definitely improved, it just feels never ending and I feel like I'm not doing enough even though I can't think of anything else to do. Thank you for your wise words you've been a big help! X

Back