Dysfunctional bond?

Taratjj

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post in here
I’ve had 2 male GPs since August bought together and homed in a 5x2 c&c but they also have free roam downstairs. They never seemed to get on and one showed signs of dominance after maybe 2 weeks and the other accepted it and never challenged it. Over the last 6 weeks or so the dominant behaviours have become quite extreme, not only humping and strutting but nipping fur pulling not letting the underpig eat even though we’ve 3 bowls not letting him drink out of either bottle, not letting him in any of the 3 cuddle cups and the separate hay room we attached at the end of the cage and also not letting him leave the cage!
I weighed underpig and he’s lost a bit of weight and I noticed patches of fur all over had gone. I immediately separated with a divider for the night while I pick up a temp cage. Since separation the underpig has had the best naps I’ve seen him ever have, he’s eaten very well and popcorning all over the floor and generally looks happier. The other piggy seems a bit annoyed by being separated and is rumbling through the bars and biting them. Underpig at first was whimpering as he does but he soon stopped when he realised he couldn’t get to him.

Is this a dysfunctional bond? And where do I go from here? These are my first GPs

Welcome to the forum

The fact you have said the underpig has lost weight and now looks much happier to be away (the dominant piggy will be upset but it isn’t his reaction you go by) sadly does mean bullying is likely going on and that they need to remain separated permanently.
They should live side by side so they can still interact between the bars but should not have physical contact again.

If you wish to keep the c&c arrangement then you will need to extend the cage though as the minimum cage requirement for a single piggy is a 3x2 c&c.
I see you mention a temporary cage - make sure it is a minimum of 120x60cm.

I’m sorry things haven’t worked out between them.

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

I too have separated boars. My two youngest, now 18 month olds, had a huge fight when they were 18 weeks old and have lived separated ever since.
I also have a bonded pair of 6 year old boys.

I did plan on extending the c&c more as I could fit another 3x2 plus a loft I think I’ll just have to figure out a build to accommodate both living side by side with equal room. Temp cage is 120 in length it’ll just be until I plan a new set up and it arrives. Underpig is so content tonight we even had some purrs which I’ve never heard before, while the other is well and truly sulking so he’s on extra cuddles as I don’t think he understands he’s also so sweet on his own.

Thank you for your help, I didn’t know if I was being too soft but I was sure it seemed excessive for dominance.

It really sounds that you’ve done the right thing.

This guide explains more about the signs of bullying - Bonds In Trouble

They will both be much happier and your dominant boy will too - for now he is cross that isn’t able to be a bully anymore

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry your boys have decided not to live together anymore.

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you saw what was going on and your underpig is happier now.

Hello thank you
Me too it’s been awful on underpig and stressful trying to figure out what to do. It is nice not hearing rumbling 24/7 now! There is a sense of calm this morning
I know it’s sad. But you’ve definitely done the right thing.

Thanks to everyone all seems well now just ex bully pig is a bit peeved at his free roam time being cut in half, while ex underpig is enjoying his free roams popcorning away looking super happy. And another c&c ordered to extend original 5x2 to a 8x2 and will divide in the middle. Both will have lofts so I hope both are ok with that

Thanks again

How are they doing as neighbours? It sounds promising. My original pair of boars had a SPECTACULAR bond break to the point at which it was impossible for them to even live side by side as the dominant boy was actually doing himself harm trying to get through the bars!
Sir George though was immediately a different pig, so happy and obviously loving life.

How are they doing as neighbours? It sounds promising. My original pair of boars had a SPECTACULAR bond break to the point at which it was impossible for them to even live side by side as the dominant boy was actually doing himself harm trying to get through the bars!
Sir George though was immediately a different pig, so happy and obviously loving life.
Side by side seems fine was lots of rumbling and bar biting at first but it’s been quite calm today. Roaming time he was trying to sniff and bite through his victims bars but he got ignored. We’ve all just spent the day keeping both busy and entertained separately. We’ve noticed both are being extra cuddly which we obviously do not mind! Ex underpig is as happy as can be about the whole situation while I think other is a little annoyed but with extra one on one human attention he’ll come around (I hope).

I got these 2 as my youngest is animal mad and I wasn’t for it, it took me nearly a year of pestering to agree and a few more months prep while regretting saying yes… Now I’d have a houseful completely fell in love. I need more lol!

Back