cashewandpeppa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Quality of hay is BY FAR the most important thing to me for my girls.

I'm looking for a premium hay to order online that doesn't have a ton of dust at the bottom of the bag/box. I'd order from dustfreehay.co.uk if I was in the UK, but I'm in Chicago, IL.
And their hay is American-grown, so I'm upset I can't order it!

I have a subscription from Small Pet Select for 2 lbs of 1st cut Timothy coming in every few weeks (so I don't have massive amounts ever sitting around taking up space). However, this hay is fantastic at the beginning and dusty/tiny toward the end. My two girls are highly sensitive to dust and sneeze a lot when hay gets dusty.

What are your dust-free hay recommendations? And is the hay super fresh and green?

I don't know any store in America that sells hay. But have you tried Oxbow brand? We always buy the Oxbow Hay Blends (which is a mixture or orchard and timothy hay). They do sell separate bags of timothy hay too. It's a bit expensive coz it's grown in the US though.

I don't know any store in America that sells hay. But have you tried Oxbow brand? We always buy the Oxbow Hay Blends (which is a mixture or orchard and timothy hay). They do sell separate bags of timothy hay too. It's a bit expensive coz it's grown in the US though.
I've tried this and have a bag of Timothy/orchard mix on hand. I feel like it's mostly orchard hay and very, very little Timothy though. My girls love Timothy most and seed heads are their favorite!

For my piggy bosses Finn and Lara, I order Oxbow hay bags and I find them to have least amount of dust. I never allow their Oxbow hay to run out. Below are two kinds I typically always have around.

Oxbow Hay Blends 2.55 kg (90oz) and Oxbow Western Timothy Hay 9 lb (4.09 kg)

IMG_5387 (1).jpg

IMG_5389.jpg
IMG_5386.jpg

For variety sake, I also order different types of Oxbow hay for my piggy bosses.

Oxbow Orchard Grass Hay to give them some variety.
Below them are some more of Oxbow hay and some Kaytee which I no longer order. Mine will only eat Oxbow hay and not Kaytee hay so I stopped buying Kaytee hay.
IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4596.JPG

I can second the Oxbow recommendation; all my pets love it. The orchard grass is super soft and full of yummy seed heads. The only other hays I've tried are Kaytee and Brown's. The Kaytee was ok but super stiff and the Brown's was super super dusty and pollen heavy. Would not recommend either of those two.

I have noticed that the blend consists of mostly Orchard Grass, as well.
You can actually buy both types and then mix them, which I find evens out the quantity of both.
I hope this helps! :)

My most recent shipment of Oxbow hays I received to make sure they are always fully stocked.
Oxbow Hay Blends 2.55 kg (90oz) and Oxbow Western Timothy Hay 9 lb (4.09 kg)

I try giving them more veggies than pellets but I still buy Oxbow pellets and give them very minimum amount of the pellets on occasion.

IMG_5391.jpg

Back