• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Duke has an abscess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I'd like you all the keep your paws crossed for Duke, i discovered a lump on Tuesday on his right lower jaw line towards the rear of his jaw :'( :'( and he went to the vets on Wednesday and had an xray to confirm that it was an abscess, unfortunately with the Easter break they were already over booked for ops, but they were confident he would be OK until they can operate on him on Tuesday this week. He's on Baytril twice daily 0.3ml and Metacam once a day 5 drops, his weight is 712 grams at the moment and he's eating like a real little piggie O0 so if i can keep him healthy and happy till then it will be the most i can do. The lump hasn't got any bigger at this stage but i don't want to touch it too often in case this aggrivates it or hurts Duke :( A note: this will be his 4th abscess operation in his little life, it's just not fair :tickedoff:
I'll let you all know how he goes after his op, i don't expect to hear till later on in the day so i would think you'd all be asleep :) or maybe just time to get up :)
Thanks all
Glynis and lumpy Duke

Hey Glynis... I'm so sorry about Duke! 4 ops? that really isnt fair huh! :(
Really hope he will be okay :)
The pigs and I are crossing our fingers/paws for you and Duke... :smitten:

Sorry to hear this Glynis, bloody abscesses >:( Give Dukey some big kisses from me and my lot :-* :-* :-*

yup our lot send him lotsa fluffy hugs :smitten: :smitten:

same as Sars and I do ;)

Thanks mate, means a real lot to me and Duke, bless his little boots he's in bed :smitten:

How's the headache gone i hope, they are so annoying and debilitating there's time when even day to day life is a struggle with a headache :'( :'(

hope he gets better soon, paws crossed

Hope he's feeling better soon. Abscesses are evil things but they can be cured! Our rabbit had a nasty one for a year which kept coming and going but we threw every available treatment at it and by some miracle it completely cleared up!
I hope the same happens for Dukey.
All the best
xx

awww poor little babe I really hope he improves pretty soon he has been through so much but is in safe hands with his mummy, so will try not to worry too much, one of carrie annes pigs had 2 removed one from each end and bounced back each time, so biccy is sending lots of love and wheaks for him to be brave and get better soon, let us know as soon as you know, we'll all be worrying other wise you know what we are like, kisses and cuddles to a brave little man and a very worried mummy :-* :-* :-* :-*

Oh poo. I can't believe I've just seen this, it sounds exactly where the pig I picked up for Abnoba has hers. Is it an open abscess or still under the skin?

What ever happens I know he'll have the best nurse around to tend to his every need. Good luck little man :-*

Loadsa love and kisses to Dukey-boy and you :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Re: Duke has an abscess **update**

Duke's abscess has just 'popped' i found him with a wet chin and the gunk oozing out. I've bathed it in warm salty water and expressed as much out as i can, without pushing too hard cause i don't want to hurt him.
Any other advice on care at the moment would really really be appreciated please O0 O0 O0

Re: Duke has an abscess **update**

Glynis said:
Duke's abscess has just 'popped' i found him with a wet chin and the gunk oozing out. I've bathed it in warm salty water and expressed as much out as i can, without pushing too hard cause i don't want to hurt him.
Any other advice on care at the moment would really really be appreciated please O0 O0 O0
oh gross..i hope hes gonna be ok

afraid you might have to squeeze a little to keep it drained, but always keep it clean like you are doing O0

Does he seem to be in any pain? He's on metacam anyway isn't he?

Love to Duke :smitten: :smitten:

Little man doing OK, kept an eye on him till i went to the footy (AFL, my team Essendon) Dee was home so i felt happy to leave him :-*
He's eating like a little piggie O0 and the point where the puss (yes it was really gross) came out has a tiny little bit of a scab looks like a scratch as it's dried blood. I've again wiped it a number of times with eye makeup remover pads soaked in warm water with a little salt added. Will still be going to the vets on Tuesday, i think they'll lance it or something ewwww, and flush it out. But this is so much better than having a full on op for an abscess like he has done before, i'm so proud of him :smitten: :smitten:
Thanks to Niki who was the only one on line at the time, i did a panick attack thing :D :D and needed reassurance, thanks Niki :-* O0

What I had to do before the pig I had here went to the rodentologist was - boil some water & let it cool down to a warm temp. Give piggy some infant paracetamol or ibubrofen such as Calpol or Nurofen(if you have that brand where you are 0.4ml)Get some kitchen towel & dip it in the water then hold that on the abscess to soften any scab etc. Then proceed to remove the scab and gently squeeze in all directions for any gunk to come out. Sometimes you will have to re apply the wet kitchen towel and let the abscess 'refill' & squeeze again. When you can't get any more out you need to flush the abscess. A little bit of TCP diluted in luke warm water is good or Hibi scrub which dental nurses/doctors use for disinfecting instruments & washing hands etc(which I have here but not used because it arrived after the pig went!). Then you need to use a syringe to squirt this into the abscess hole a couple of times.
You will need to try & keep the abscess hole open by putting some kind of greasy lotion round it to stop the scab. Try not to get the lotion in the abscess...

I'm glad he's doing ok x

:smitten: eve that was from Eve who sitting on my knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back