• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dry skin on feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Noticed yesterday that one of my guinea pigs, Zag, has developed a bit of dry skin on her feet. It sticks out slightly and just looks like a layer of skin that's died and gone a bit crusty and is hanging. H

ave had a look in some of my books and it recommends trimming it, how long should it be before I trim it? The skin is only sticking out slightly at the moment.

Just wondering if there was any cream I could rub in her feet to help? Would just some E45 or vaseline be OK or would I need something just for piggies?

I clean their cage thoroughly twice a day and they're bedded on Megazorb. Only one of my piggies has this problem, the other has lovely smooth skin on her feet so was wondering if anyone knew what could cause this?

Thanks!

Gorgeous guineas have just made a new cream for sore feet have a look at their site, its for dry cracked and sore feet and apparently it works a treat ;)

oooo just forgot to ask what you bed piggy on as wood shavings can some times dry the feet :)

I would not really recommend E45 or vasaline. Oliive oil or Bepanthen would be better.

Better still,get a jar of C hrissies new pad cream.

Thanks for the advice. I just went out and got some Bepanthen so will try it tonight!

As for trimming off the edges off the skin, will this hurt? I'm just scared about cutting it and making her sore.

They're bedded on Megazorb so don't think it's to do with the bedding plus my other piggy's fine.

I named them after that puppets Zig and Zag who used to be on the TV here in the UK. I used to love watching them when I was younger so thought it was a good name for my piggies.

Perfect Paws is fab for dry feet and very easily absorbed.

Is it skin or a spur (like soft nail)?

Thanks for all advice. i trimmed the bits hanging off the edge of her paw last night and rubbed in lots of cream. She didn't seem to mind a bit so hopefully the cream will help and it'll all clear up now.

Altough I do think people at work think I'm crazy buying nappy rash cream for my guinea pig ;)

You're not gonna believe this, but Zig and Zag were clowns out here in OZ yonks ago i loved them as a kid :smitten: :smitten:

Well done love, ahhh a mummy's touch always helps O0 :smitten: Good luck then love :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

LOL get used to being looked at when you go to the chemist, i do all the time. ' so madam this is for your child? erm ah noooo for my guinea pig' they then look at you :o :o :o :o 98) 98) 98) you actually get a laugh yourself in the end at their responses ;D ;D ;D

Yeah she's perfectly happy in herself, don't think she even knows it's there! She's still running around like mad and eating so can't be too bad. :)

Yeah she's a mummy girl, tried to get my bf to hold her while I put the cream on but she wasn't having any of it. She only likes me to hold her and wriggles until he puts her down so he was the lucky one having to put the cream on while I held her. She just sat there quietly and scowled at him!

zigzag said:
Yeah she's perfectly happy in herself, don't think she even knows it's there! She's still running around like mad and eating so can't be too bad. :)

Yeah she's a mummy girl, tried to get my bf to hold her while I put the cream on but she wasn't having any of it. She only likes me to hold her and wriggles until he puts her down so he was the lucky one having to put the cream on while I held her. She just sat there quietly and scowled at him!

::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D that's mummies girl O0 ;)

Checked Zag's feet yesterday and they're all fine now, yay! :) She had one little bit of skin left hanging but she managed to pull that out and leave it in her water bowl..... Lovely I thought when I saw that floating in there! I'll keep an eye on it but for now it looks like it's all gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back