• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dry Guinea pig ears

Courtneymia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently my 6th month old Guinea pig’s ears have become quite dry and crusty. About 2 months ago he was treated at the vets for this around his eye. When I got treatment for him it was a tiny bottle which cost about £250 in vet bills so I really can’t spend that much again. I’m wondering why it has come back or if it is something different? I don’t think he is stressed he has a playmate and plenty of enrichment and fresh leaves. He is quite shy though. Can someone advise me what to do? I am currently putting tree tea cream on them from pets at home to help but I only bit a tiny bit on.

*Also sorry if I don’t make sense much I have dyslexia*

Attachments

• IMG_1859.webp
    IMG_1859.webp
    102.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1854.webp
    IMG_1854.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1855.webp
    IMG_1855.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1858.webp
    IMG_1858.webp
    75.7 KB · Views: 5
So sorry only a vet can diagnose what this is, but it may be fungal and will require proper treatment. You could try another vet or ring around and ask what likely costs will be involved

I have been lucky so no idea of the costs but that sounds rather expensive. Someone may come on and give you an idea of costs

Please see a vet for potential fungal infection.

Please do not put any creams or lotions on your piggy without consulting a vet.
Tea tree is very strong smelling and piggies should not be exposed to strong scents.
Tea tree will not cure a fungal issue (should it turn out to be that) and putting anything on it before seeing a vet means it makes it harder for a vet to diagnose the issue (products used can hide evidence a vet needs for diagnosis).

You said he had treatment for it around his eye. Was ringworm the diagnosis?
If it was, what was the treatment the vet gave you?
Did you carry out through disinfection of the cage and environment? Ringworm spores can live in the environment for up to two years so thorough disinfection is needed. Any spores that remain in the environment can cause reinfection down the line.

The guide below details the steps which need to be taken to ensure ringworm is fully treated and killed in the environment.

Ringworm: Hygiene, Care And Pictures

Back