Dry forage instead of veggies during Winter

piggles 7000

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
During the Summer I forage for my piggies from a lovely field near me. In the Winter they have veg instead. I don't have the space to dry my own forage so I'm looking into buying from online places who sell dry forage. I'd like to almost replace the veg I buy with dried forage as I think it will be healthy for them and also because I have quite a few piggies and I think it will be more cost effective. Ive found one business called Bunny Bistro which look quite good. They do a dried veg mixture which I could start them with to get them used to the new textures etc, and gradually mix in more and more dried natural forage which they also sell
I'm wondering if anyone else does something like this? I understand that there are some nutrients lost in the dying process but I would imagine its still good for them. I'm looking to replace at least 3/4 of their usual veg intake with this if possible/viable.
Obviously hay is available to them 24/7
Thanks

I personally would not replace veg with dried forage. They do still need fresh veg for their nutrients and water content. Fresh forage can probably replace fresh veg. I give forage but it’s only given in small amounts as per the instructions from the supplier. My understanding is that dried forage is fine for a supplement but not total replacement. I consider dried forage to be more of a replacement for pellets not veg
I use Piggie Parcels. It is a company run by a member of this forum

I personally would not replace veg with dried forage. They do still need fresh veg for their nutrients and water content. Fresh forage can probably replace fresh veg. I give forage but it’s only given in small amounts as per the instructions from the supplier. My understanding is that dried forage is fine for a supplement but not total replacement. I consider dried forage to be more of a replacement for pellets not veg
I use Piggie Parcels. It is a company run by a member of this forum

I agree with @Piggies&buns that dry forage is more of a replacement for pellets than fresh veg and that your piggies should still get some fresh green and watery food.

Back