Dry food shelf life

luckyandsammy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got a MASSIVE 8kg bag of versele laga cavia complete, as the 1.75kg bags I usually get were unavailable. I’m wondering how long I have to use it up? I'm going to put a rubber band around it to keep it fresher.
I usually go through about 2 of the smaller bags a month, so I’m hoping to finish it before it goes bad.
F7B7DFE5-49A3-4362-8399-37A2FF3B0576.webp

I thought bags had use within x months once opened on them but I’ve just been out to check my rabbit pellets and it just says to use by best before date.
I get a 10kg bag of rabbit pellets (which was between three rabbits) and I opened my current bag 6 months ago and it’s probably got enough left for about another 6 weeks - so about 7.5 months to get through 10kg.
My piggies would take about a year to get through that amount - they use about 2kg every three months

I thought bags had use within x months once opened on them but I’ve just been out to check my rabbit pellets and it just says to use by best before date.
I get a 10kg bag of rabbit pellets (which was between three rabbits) and I opened my current bag 6 months ago and it’s probably got enough left for about another 6 weeks - so about 7.5 months to get through 10kg.
My piggies would take about a year to get through that amount - they use about 2kg every three months
Yeah I can’t see it mentioned on the bag but I’ve read on a few groups/forums that once opened, bacteria starts growing in it and it goes rancid and the vitamin C is affected. Some people said you have to use it within 2 months, some said 3 and when I googled it I found a source saying 2 weeks! Which is obviously impossible as I’m not feeding it to a horse 😅 I’ve always just got smaller bags so I never had this problem. I think I’ll just keep an eye on it and hopefully if it looks/smells the same, it will be alright

Back