Dry/flaky/itchy Skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilly's Piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My short haired (american) sow has had skin problems for about 6 months now. She has been on parasite treatments (ivermectin and lice n easy shampoo) but they've not improved her symptoms, she is still scratching and sensitive on her back/rump, even a gentle parting of the hair in these areas are enough to make her react and turn around with her mouth open to scratch it.

I'm starting to think it's not a parasitic issue this time, as my Guinea Pigs did have lice 4 months ago but have since cleared with treatment, but my Willow is still having skin problems, so I'm wondering if she just has dry skin. I had a good look in her fur and I can't see any running lice like I could see last time when they did have them, but there are lots of flakes of skin and her skin looks a little dry/scurfy. There is no baldness or red/bleeding skin.

What are your thoughts on what the problem is, and what can I get to soothe her skin?

I'm going to give them all another course of treatment just incase but I think Willow needs something else for her irritation.

Taking her to the vets is your best bet, no one can give an accurate diagnosis without proper training or examination of the animal. Wishing you both good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back