Drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnsie123

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Frank and Oscar have been out and eating, fresh veg and hay, however, I've had them just over 24 hours and they haven't touched there water bottles, I wonder have I put them too high up the cage, I have a C&C cage and the correx is about 6 inches and the bottle is just above, the water is fresh also.

Hey, I think some piggies just aren't big drinkers - my boys rarely ever drink and so I make sure that their veg is soaked in water so they get plenty that way. I too was concerned it might be the bottle being too high so I bought the eco-living (I think that's what it's called) glass bottle which can sit either side of the cage and has quite a long spout - my boys haven't really used it much but I feel better knowing that it's there and accesible for them should they want it.

The other thing to remeber is that your piggies are still settling in so it may just take them time :)

Sometimes it takes them a while to actually discover where the water bottles are. I just got a new baby yesterday and she only just discovered the water bottle today. Since she's just a little baby, I was worried that I had put it up too high, but she seems to be managing just fine. Maybe give it some time, and if you don't see improvement, move the bottles down a bit.

I've just seen your other thread and see that you've got them from a rescue - perhaps you could get in touch with them regarding the boys previous eating/drinking habbits? This might help put your mind at rest.

I also meant to say congrats on the new arrivals! I'm also new to piggies (I've had them 3 months now) I was such a worrier about every little thing when I first got them but it didn't take long before I settled into being a piggie owner :)

That happens sometimes when you first bring them home. One of mine didn't touch her water bottle for 24 hours either but she eventually started drinking in her own time. Obviously if it goes on for longer than tomorrow morning it might be worth speaking to the vets about it. Good luck :)

Some piggies just don't drink that much. They do get water from their veg - particularly if you rinse the veg just before you put it in their bowl. You could always put a bowl of water in their cage as well just in case they are having any issues using their bottle. I did that with my 2 when I first got them and kept the bowl in until I had seen both of them drink from the bottle.

Even now Toby does most of the drinking whereas I hardly ever see Barney drinking.

Out of all my five. Rambo and Patch are the big drinkers! The others might have the odd drink here and there. Even when they had floor time it was only ever Rammy and Patch taking interest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back