Drinking? Pee Colour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakyclean

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. Still concerned my piggies aren't drinking. Never seen them so much as look at water in bottle or in their bowl.They are peeing and pooing. What colour should their pee be?. I have puppy liners so can check. Today it looked a bit browner? Sorry. ,new piggy mommy stressing They do like there veggies which I leave wet and are out on the grass most days. Thank you

How long have you had your piggies? My Podrick is 2 now, and it's only in the last few months I've seen him drink, and even then it's rarely. A lot of pigs don't drink much, and tend to get their water from veg. Wetting their veg is a great way to get water into them, so continue with that. You could always give them a little bit more cucumber each day too.

I've noticed that pee always dries browny red on puppy pads. I have one boy who is a fantastic drinker but even his pee dries brown. I think it's something in the pads that changes the colour.

Hi. Still concerned my piggies aren't drinking. Never seen them so much as look at water in bottle or in their bowl.They are peeing and pooing. What colour should their pee be?. I have puppy liners so can check. Today it looked a bit browner? Sorry. ,new piggy mommy stressing They do like there veggies which I leave wet and are out on the grass most days. Thank you

Urine oxidises when it dries on light towels. A rusty colour is nothing to worry about.
As long as your little ones have got veg twice daily, they will not dehydrate. Please don't overdo the veg! Also realise that the more veg you feed, the less will they have an incentive to discover the water bottle. Too much veg is also not good for their long term health.

I would rather recommend that you flavoured the water in the bottle with a bit of cucumber or other veg juice at first (you need to change that daily) to make it more interesting and worth investigating.

I have a number of piggies that normally hardly use the bottle, only when they are very thirsty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back