• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Drinking lots of Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayneG

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone, haven't been on for a while. I hope you are all well. My fingers are crossed for the poorly piggies I am reading about :-\

My piggie Eric is 4 and the last few days he always seems to be at the water bottle. Should I be worried? He seems ok otherwise.

Have you changed his diet IN ANY way?

If not,and he continues to drink more and is losing weight,take him to a vet for a blood test.He could possibly be diabetic,or have some other renal problem.

Just a thought her,have you increasd the heating in his accomodation?

Thanks for your response. The only thing I can think of is that he's had spinach recently that I don't give very often. We do have the heating on more these days so maybe I'll turn the radiator down in their bedroom! He doesn't appear to have lost any weight but will keep a close eye on him. Thanks so much :-)

Spinach should only be given as a treat,I do not give it to my pigs at all.

Good idea to turn the heat down a little as he may be getting too hot.Piggies do tend to dehydrate very quickly.

Continue to watch him though.if he starts to lose weight or seems to be eating more as well as dxrinking more,think about a vet visit.

Also if he seems to be weeing more....obviously he will if he's drinking more, but it's frequency you're looking for. Drinking, weeing and weight loss and lethargy are signs of diabetes in humans so I'm guessing it's the same with animals too. It's a pain in the bum for me, let alone a tiny animal although it is quite easily treatable. (But expensive I gather!) I've got everything crossed that he isn't!

Perhaps Eric's just got a thirst on? :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back