• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dreaded mites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone i am off to the vets at 6 tonight as i suspect one of my pigs has mites i bought some anti mite shampoo but she has got worse i phoned 3 vets only one does the injection the others have spot on the drops at the back of the neck which also didnt help her so i am hoping it is mites and the injection will cure it why why why is it a helthy good wight piggie goes down with them and the others dont? let u all know how she gets on. :smitten: :smitten:

PP is right, if it is mites. Is it possible it is a fungal infection though? what are the symptoms?
Have a look at www.gorgeousguineas.co.uk
There is a good skin section and it explains the differences between mites and fungal. They can look very similar if you dont know the difference although sometimes they can have both. Email Chrissie if you are still not sure, she emails back very quickly.
If in any doubt though, I would still advise taking them to the vets :)

the shampoos for mites are no good but the injection is brill and the spot on as its quite strong from the vets O0

The topical method of Ivermectin works very well.It is much better than the old injection route which is painful for the piggies.

As other members have suggested ,bathing in one of the GG shampoos in between the Ivermectin treatment ,helps a lot.

Some pigs are just more prone to mites than others.Pigs with mites can live with others who do not get infected.

Ahhh right thats why my choc choc and all 5 of her bubs got mites :( Choc choc had the injection she just squealed and the babies who were only 4 weeks old had a spot on thing on their necks :-\

Hi all, have taken her to vets she had the injection for mites and she has got some cream for the sores she has to go back in a week for another injection which should be all she needs for a full recovery i have also bought some spot on from the vets to put on the piggie who lives with her the vet said the spot on treatment you bye from the shops is no good so she sold me some just incase the other piggie was the carrier. :smitten: :smitten:

when i got my munchkin she had the burrow type mites, she was a sorry site in p@h and i took her to try and save her... she only had the injection in a couple of days and was a completely different piggie! recently we've had a bit of an infestation of static lice and the lice n easy shampoo from gorgeous guineas is clearing that right up!

hope the injections work and your piggie is back to normal soon!

It has been 4 days now since she had the injection for mites and it is worse she has 2 new sores they look very sore she is still scratching like mad she has another appointment at the vet on friday for another injection the vet did say it may take 3 or even 4 injections to cure her but i thought i would see an improvement by now should i phone the vet or leave it til friday for the other injection ? x

Ivermectin doses should be given 10-14 days apart,not 7 days.

Ivermectin normally works quickly to stop the irritation.,so I suspect there is fungal activity as well.

My best advise is to email Chrissie at GG

[email protected] for advise on which of her shampoos.melts to use.

Calendula ointment or Aloe vera gel on the lesions may help.

You could also have a look at "Itching" on Peter Gurneys website.

Petergurney.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back