Doubling Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbag

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What are the implications of getting another two piglets? - Other than the obvious costs etc!
I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I'd like to be prepared to take on another two if we are able to.

My main concern is what effect would it have on Tango and Cash? Obviously they wouldn't be housed together - my plan would be to stack another 140 cage on top of theirs and rotate the cages each week so they all get a chance to go on top/bottom! Would this cause any disruption between them all?
Also, how would floor time be affected? Tango and Cash get the run of the conservatory with a few cosy hideys and some big chewy sticks - would it matter if they all used the space and the same cosies etc (at different times obviously) or would the smell of different piggies affect them?

Think thats all I can think of for now! Thanks in advance!

The smell on the cosies could upset them.I have a quartet and a duo and all their toys are separate as different smells could cause fall out.Are tango and cash boars.If so you couldn't have them in same room as girls add this would lead to fighting when they smell then

They're both boys and id only get boys too so the fighting won't be an issue.

Thanks for the info on the cosy smells - that's easy enough to fix! I was more worried about the room and floor in general.

I have 2 x 140 cages stacked in my summerhouse. I currently have two females on the bottom and a married couple up top. I don't have any trouble with smells plus I have 2 boys in another cage.

I must be lucky because they are all fine or perhaps it's because there is good air circulation.

Also I use auboise bedding,whilst they all have a second homemade floor with a fleece section, they are happy with they're set up.

You will be fine stacking and rotating the top/bottom cages - and yes, it is exciting to think of welcoming new piggies :)

Where did you get 140cm cages from? I have been looking for some and they seem as rare as pixie dust!

I wouldn't switch cages and certainly it is not advisable to switch any furnishings! You could also think about getting a cheap or secondhand table for the top cage, which would allow you more light and easier access to the lower cage. You can fix some strip lighting to the bottom of the table, like I have done with my floor pen.

@Goth Mummy littlepetwarehouse.co.uk sell them not ferplast but they seem to be made using an old ferplast mould :-) and the liberta R6 and r6a are are big too at 150cm

EDIT: LPW appear to have discontinued them, shame as they sold a 180cm version too!

@Wiebke I meant physically moving each cage, not switching pigs from cage to cage! Sorry, wasn't very clear. Thank you for the table/strip lighting tip. Our existing cage is already on a stand so I think we should be ok for access and light though.

@Goth Mummy I got my current 140 and it's stand online but I can't remember the site off the top of my head. Would be hesitant to recommend it though as not long after my bank account was hijacked n I had about £700 stolen (thankfully Barclays refunded me though!) I can't say for sure it was that site where things went wrong but it was the only out of the ordinary purchase Id made at the time.
Anyway, the dubious PAH currently have 140 cages on sale for £100

Must stop getting toooo excited about this. Still a lot riding on it but I can't help it!

Thanks lil! that's exactly the plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back