• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dotty has a BIG lump under her chin! Going to vets later today...

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishka
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nishka

Hi everyone ;)

I took Dotty out for her usual cuddles last night and I realised to my horror that she has got a HUGE lump under her chin. I feel really embarrassed that I never noticed it before- I don't know how I missed it unless it has suddenly come up. Its quite hard to touch and its about the size of a cherry tomato or thereabouts.. maybe a little larger.

I am taking her to the vets after I finish work today (the earliest I can go) but any ideas what it could be? And how they might treat it?

Thanks. I feel really bad. :'(

Awwwwww Nishka, i hope Dotty will be ok. Dont feel bad honey i am sure you would have noticed if she had it before!

Keep us informed on her progress.

Amy.x.

Hi Nancy,

Aww sorry to hear that. Was thinking of you last night, wondering how the pigs were doing. Keep us posted. Maybe it is a cyst or some sort of absess?

I'm sure it's nothing too major.

Good luck and big hugs!

Louise
x

Hiya

Thanks both of you, I hope it is nothing serious.

I haven't been around much this week because I have been having some tests at the hospital (I have an immune disorder) so I haven't been up to fiddling about on the computer much, plus my little girl was unwell earlier in the week (having a bad run of health all round at the moment!) Hopefully things will be better from now on... Fingers crossed!

Piggle and Dotty are doing fine otherwise, Piggle is becoming more tame than Dotty but I am really enjoying having them and spending time with them. They are lovely girlies.

:)

Have you taken her to the vets? Sounds like a absess, will probably need to be drained, better to get it sorted now, get her toothy pegs checked too O0

Awww Bless Dotty :-\ Hope all goes well at the vets tonight :smitten: Thinking of her :smitten:

PerfectPiggies said:
Have you taken her to the vets? Sounds like a absess, will probably need to be drained, better to get it sorted now, get her toothy pegs checked too O0
She said in her first post shes taking her to the vets after work ;)

Hiya

Yep taking her to the vets after work today.

If its an absess after they drain it - what will they do? Stitches? Anything I need to do for her specially?

Nishka said:
Hiya

Yep taking her to the vets after work today.

If its an absess after they drain it - what will they do? Stitches? Anything I need to do for her specially?
Ahhh ive never had to deasl with anything like this so sorry cant help youll just have to wait and see later on and I'm sure the vets will explain and tell you everything you need to do etc :)

awww poor Dotty, oh dear i hope it's not an abscess, nasty dam things >:( >:( >:(
But they can be treated and a dose of meds is the recommended usually. You might have to do a bit of cleaning / flushing also... if so, post and i know there's a few of us on here that have the experience and knowledge to deal with it O0
Don't be so hard on yourself, these lumps can happen literally over night but i'm glad you saw it and realised what was happening, well done O0
crossing our paws for Dotty and sending healing piggie kisses for her :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I hope its nothing nasty, but don'e worry until you no.

Good luck at the vets and let us know hoe it goes. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Dont feel bad about not noticing - these things can creep up. Sorry to hear about Dotty, though.

One of my pigs (now deceased) had a very large cyst under her chin. It was drained by having a stent (tube) put in. It looked awful but did the trick. Hanny had a general anaesthetic for the stent to be put in, but it was removed without, I think. She recovered, but died a few months later from something else (she was a very old rescue piggie).

Dotty may not have to have such an invasive treatment, though, and it may not even be the same thing. I think someone already said to get her teeth checked.

I hope it all goes well tonight. Keep us posted.

Thank you so much everyone, for the reassurance and the advice.

I don't know what I would do without the forum at times like this. Thanks!

I will let you know how I get on with Dotty later on. :)

Sounds like an abscess that will need lancing and flushing. Don't feel bad, these things can creep up overnight. I checked some pigs the night before they were due to go to take part in a vet lecture and all was fine so I chose who to take, the next morning one of them had a golf ball lump under her chin. It was lanced and flushed (at the lecture!) and she was fine.

No stitches, you need to keep it open which can mean vet visits every other day and flush it with Hartmans solution (or similar), I also put Baytril in the solution. Flush x2 daily. You will need a syringe and Canula (I prefer blue :) ).

Thanks for the replies. The information has been sooo helpful, thank you.

Dottys trip to the vets went okay. The vet felt the lump and said it feels like an abcess and he checked her teeth and said they were ok. He said there is prob no cause for the abcess since I haven't heard them fighting or anything and it doesn't look like the skin was broken around it but more like it was formed from the inside out. So he poked it with a needle (Ouch! Poor Dot Dot!) and loads of toothpaste style gunk came out! Yuck. He cleaned it up and said it should be ok but just to keep it clean and dry.

I am glad I took her and hope she is going to be ok. :) :)

Thats great news Nishka, glad Dotty is alright. Give her a piggy kiss from me and Gilbert! its horrible how quickly these abcesses appear, even overnight.

Amy.x.

Ah poor Dotty. I'm sure she'll be fine so try not to worry.

Lots of piggie cuddles for you and Dotty :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Have you got stuff to flush it out? You need at least a syringe to shoot water into the pocket. Have you got antibiotics and probiotics?

Hiya

The vet gave me a syringe and a solution to use so I hope this is going to be ok!

I am going to go and get her out in a min and have a look - wish me luck! Hope she's ok.

Thanks everyone

xx

Is the solution Dermisol? I had that for Basil's post op infection. He was very good about having the thing flushed, but I had to get someone to hold him.

Be careful not to get any pus on your fingers. Some gp infections are zoonotic (can transfer to humans).

I hope that she is feeling much better already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back