Don’t use this in your Guinea pig home!

Reaction score
I recently just found out that Amazon sprays there boxes with pesticides to keep small animals such as mice and rats away, these pesticides are very harmful for our precious pigs please keep these cardboard boxes out of their homes!

What's your source of information please? I hope it's not true. If true, I wonder whether only happens in America.. 🤔

I know we have had a few threads about things like this. It seems these stories have started on social media but there was no truth in it.

I'm sure someone said this before and it turned out to just be a myth I'm yet to hear of anyone's Guinea pigs being ill after having a cardboard box

Luckily, from what I found online, this is a myth. It originated from a lady whose cat recieved chemical burns and blamed it on spraying of boxes (she deleted her post in the end) Amazon does not routinely spray pesticides or rodenticides on packages. There's no more risk from their boxes than any other manufacturer etc.
They can't, however, rule out any risk from accidental exposure or cross contamination of chemicals which seems to have been what happened to the original ladies cat. So while they're safe, technically, just be mindful that having been shipped through the postage system or in a courier van, you can't guarantee their safety 100% as they could have come into contact with chemicals on the van floor or damaged packages in the same delivery.

Luckily, from what I found online, this is a myth. It originated from a lady whose cat recieved chemical burns and blamed it on spraying of boxes (she deleted her post in the end) Amazon does not routinely spray pesticides or rodenticides on packages. There's no more risk from their boxes than any other manufacturer etc.
They can't, however, rule out any risk from accidental exposure or cross contamination of chemicals which seems to have been what happened to the original ladies cat. So while they're safe, technically, just be mindful that having been shipped through the postage system or in a courier van, you can't guarantee their safety 100% as they could have come into contact with chemicals on the van floor or damaged packages in the same delivery.
Thank you for this! I did do my research and a lot of stuff was saying that they do spray their boxes with chemicals that can be harmful but yes it’s always safe to stay mindful

Back