Don’t trust cucumber

Spaniel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone else not quite trust cucumbers? I feel like they always have a slight film on the inside (is that slime?)

Noticing it more with peppers and carrots too. Makes us a bit nervous to feed them.

Anyone else?

Does anyone else not quite trust cucumbers? I feel like they always have a slight film on the inside (is that slime?)

Noticing it more with peppers and carrots too. Makes us a bit nervous to feed them.

Anyone else?
Do you mean cucumbers that have been wrapped tight in plastic, and carrots in bags, or loose ones?

I have noticed slimy cucumbers. I think the refrigeration in transport is too cold. I always rinse all veggies under the tap to remove any bacteria. I also look out for unpackaged veggies, there’s simply far too much unnecessary packaging and grow my own in summer

Do you mean cucumbers that have been wrapped tight in plastic, and carrots in bags, or loose ones?
Cucumbers are always in plastic but peppers and carrots are both bags or loose depending on what seems in better condition.

I have noticed slimy cucumbers. I think the refrigeration in transport is too cold. I always rinse all veggies under the tap to remove any bacteria. I also look out for unpackaged veggies, there’s simply far too much unnecessary packaging and grow my own in summer
I think it is how they’re looked after during transport and when they reach the store.

So rinsing thoroughly should be enough even if the veggies are slightly slimy?

The problem we find with loose produce is that is always smells and tastes of perfume!

As long as you rinse all veggies well under running tap water there really is no need to be nervous.
If you are concerned have you thought about looking into a local supplier - a farm shop maybe?
We tried the online organic shops but they weren’t good in our area. Supermarkets are terrible too. Lucky to get more than a couple of days each shop.

I think it is how they’re looked after during transport and when they reach the store.

So rinsing thoroughly should be enough even if the veggies are slightly slimy?

The problem we find with loose produce is that is always smells and tastes of perfume!
yes, the unwrapped cucumbers do have a stronger taste

We’ve been braver with the cucumber and not caused the piggies untimely demise so that’s a relief! :)

Back