Don’t think my guinea pigs are getting along

Kjj18

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiii I need some help🥺, I recently bought two female guinea pigs who are 1 years old the person I bought them from told me they never really handled them so I wanted to give these little piggies a loving home but I’ve had them for a couple weeks now and I feel like they aren’t getting along I don’t know if there playing or not, this morning I put fresh food down with some veg and they both went to go to eat and the one went as if it bite the other one and she ran in the corner and a couple minutes after they were both in the corner and she was like crying but I’ve noticed she’s been crying but very softly and she’s keeps purring I’ve been reading you shouldn’t separate them unless they actually hurt each other :( but I don’t want anything bad to happen but I don’t know what to do there’s plenty of food in the cage for them too

Yeah this sometimes happens, my two recently bonded girls are the same, Maisie was with two other girls until I adopted a 5 year old, bonded them but Maisie seems to be the more dominant one and younger one, they have been together a week now and things have improved but it can take time. A new home environment, new smells, sounds etc can upset and stress piggies out, give it time and hopefully they will settle and sort their differences out.

:wel:

Nipping is a gesture of power, and not necessarily a problem.
The crying your report - if it is a high pitched squeak, then that is most likely submission which is absolutely what you need to be seeing. It is the submissive piggy accepting her position as lower ranking and telling them other piggy that they accept.

A few questions to help us gauge the situation.

How long have you had them exactly? It takes around two weeks for them to reestablish their relationship and during this time you will see dominance. Piggies, even those who have always been together, will need to reestablish in any new territory.

How big is your cage? A few minimum of 120x60cm is needed as lack of space can cause issues.

Do all your hides have two exits?

Is it only when food has been put in the cage or at other times? How do they behave in general? Do you have two of everything? From the wounds of things you scatter feed the veg? In addition to the questions above as well.

Yeah this sometimes happens, my two recently bonded girls are the same, Maisie was with two other girls until I adopted a 5 year old, bonded them but Maisie seems to be the more dominant one and younger one, they have been together a week now and things have improved but it can take time. A new home environment, new smells, sounds etc can upset and stress piggies out, give it time and hopefully they will settle and sort their differences out.
Aw thankyou so much! I hope so too

The crying your report - if it is a high pitched squeak, then that is most likely submission which is absolutely what you need to be seeing. It is the submissive piggy accepting her position as lower ranking and telling them other piggy that they accept.

How long have you had them exactly? It takes around two weeks for them to reestablish their relationship and during this time you will see dominance. Piggies, even those who have always been together, will need to reestablish in any new territory.

How big is your cage? A few minimum of 120x60cm is needed as lack of space can cause issues.

Do all your hides have tw

I’ve had them for three weeks now and the person who had them before me they had them about a year she some times does a soft crying noise just today was a high pitched one after the whole food incident and yes we have very large cage for my two little babas and hide outs with exits if they feel unsafe and all that stuff , thankyou for the reply!

Is it only when food has been put in the cage or at other times? How do they behave in general? Do you have two of everything? From the wounds of things you scatter feed the veg? In addition to the questions above as well.
I’ve not noticed it before just today with the food incident but we have two of everything with food and Two water bottles there’s plenty of food in there and with the veg and fruit I put in there bowls too but today was the first time one of the piggies are from my hand! Thankyou for the reply!

Back