Don't know what to do?

sunshine1981

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We just brought home a tiny lil baby girl( about three months) I have been bonding our 3 year old Sunshine, with a baby piggie today. Wehave a big pen and the bonding seems to be really good. The lil one is like a lightning bolt. Should I keep them together tonight? Usually we would separate the girls to make sure the little one gets enough food. Should I let them stay in the pen over night?

We just brought home a tiny lil baby girl( about three months) I have been bonding our 3 year old Sunshine, with a baby piggie today. Wehave a big pen and the bonding seems to be really good. The lil one is like a lightning bolt. Should I keep them together tonight? Usually we would separate the girls to make sure the little one gets enough food. Should I let them stay in the pen over night. Or should I let my older piggie who normally sleeps in her cage at night be in her cage? And let the lil have a night cage next to her sister at night. So I keep both of them in the pen, while I sleep? I just want everything to be okay. But Sunshine is being super goo
!

Now you’ve put them together then they need to stay together permanently.
Piggies should not be separated at all after they’ve been put together as this stops the whole bonding process, means they haven’t got through the stages, and they’d have to start all over again from the beginning every single time. This is very stressful for them. It takes around two weeks for them to fully bond.

You certainly don’t need to separate them to feed - they will share and the baby needs to learn from the older one.

If things have gone well and they’ve been together in the bonding pen for several hours then you can move them to their cage together. They must not have separate cages at all now

Make sure there is plenty of hay available in multiple places around the cage. She will get plenty of food so don’t worry about that! Ensure you carry out the weekly weight checks throughout their lives as that is the only way to know they are eating well

Last edited:
Now you’ve put them together then they need to stay together permanently.
Piggies should not be separated at all after they’ve been put together as this stops the whole bonding process, means they haven’t got through the stages, and they’d have to start all over again from the beginning every single time. This is very stressful for them. It takes around two weeks for them to fully bond.

You certainly don’t need to separate them to feed - they will share and the baby needs to learn from the older one.

If things have gone well and they’ve been together in the bonding pen for several hours then you can move them to their cage together. They must not have separate cages at all now

Make sure there is plenty of hay available in multiple places around the cage. She will get plenty of food so don’t worry about that! Ensure you carry out the weekly weight checks throughout their lives as that is the only way to know they are eating well
Thank for your advice! I sure appreciate it. I think so far so good! She is so precious! And Sunny is being such a champ!

So pleased the bonding is going ok. I left my two recently bonded boys overnight as I wanted to really make sure everything was going well before I put them in the hutch in my garage.

Back