• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

don't know what to do

• Thread starter Thread starter tawny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tawny

the bubbles saga :(

as some may know from all my post bubbles has been back and forth to the vets, vets was gonna put her under on monday to do her teeth but decided not to cause she had started eating all food but hay.

took her back yesterday for check up, quite pleased cause she had put a small amount of weight on and kept it on. vets said just carry on feeding her up.

both vets that have seen her don't reckon her teeth are bad but that, is the only thing they can put her weight loss and strange eating habits down to.

this morning her weight is down again :'(

do i risk having her put under to have teeth done in case that's the cause? what i don't understand is if it was her teeth why can she eat all veg and dried food when out of cage......... :-\

I'm so confused and don't know what to do for the best, it's like she has no will to eat or drink until i get her out of the cage.

she is still bunny hopping.

I'm worried for her now, have been to the vets 4 times in last 2 weeks and they can't find anything wrong.

sorry to keep going on about her but I'm at a loss, I'm giving her all the attention i can but i have to go to work and bed :( and it seems that's when she can't be bothered to move.

Sorry to hear about bubbles!

The only thing i can think of; does she share a cage? Just thinking you might have another piggie that is possessive over the food, when bubbles tries to eat?

If not, i can't think why she would eat out of the cage & not inside it. Unless the change in environment distracts her from some sort of pain. Have they checked for an abscess under her teeth?

Nici
x

Have you tried contacting the Cambridge Cay Trust? They train rodentologists who can do piggies teeth without anesthetic. They also might have more ideas than the Vet as to what the problem may be.
Good luck. I know how awful it can be when they are unwell.
Susie

Oh poor little Bubbles....... this has gone on tooo long :'(
Can you see another vet? It just sounds wrong that you go in for a trim and get told no :-\ :-\
Good idea O0 try to speak to Vedra :smitten:

I think you really need to get in touch with the CCT to find your nearest Rodentologist as sadly most vets really aren't great with piggies. Especially with teeth issues.

A rodentologist will check teeth without anaesthetic and will be able to advise on all aspects of piggie health.

the last vet i went to who i didn't like, said the nearest rodentologist was in Birmingham and that i could only use it if i was referred by them and that i would have to pay them to forward all the info( this was when my baby, special needs pig was ill)

is that not the case then..... can you just go to a rodentologist?

my vets that i now use have been great with all my piggies, it is just bubbles that has got them at a loss. they are prepared to look at her teeth but aren't sure that the teeth are the problem ,cause she can eat when she wants.

i just feel i don't want to risk putting her under unless they are sure it's the teeth. obviously she is weak at the moment and that's another reason i don't want to put her under.

if i was to phone cct do i need to have a card handy to pay for advice......?

Anyone can go to a Rodentologist - they are nothing to do with vets at all! Also there isn't one in Birmingham because that's the one I'd use if there was one believe me! I travel an hour to mine.

There really is no need for a piggie to have an anaesthetic for teeth investigation etc - it is an unnecessary strain on their system.

It costs £20 to join the CCT but they will give one off advice etc even if you aren't a member.

thanks starshine, they told me birmingham they was gonna make the appointment for me and charge me 35 to forward the notes on baby, knew i was right about that woman, didn't like her at all, that's what made me move vets. so angry now >:( all this time i believed you had to be referred.

have text verda just waiting for an ansa.

where do you go to then? I'm based in coventry.

since yesterday i have bought bubbles into house and have her living free range ;) she wouldn't eat much yesterday and lastnight ate nothing, so i gave her baytril and the same again today and at this moment she is munching some parsley. ;)

If you can't find a rodentologist near to you I can recommend an excellent vet who is brilliant with guinea pigs. I go to Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit Clinic in Duston, Northamptonshire. I live in Rugby and it takes about 35 minutes for me to get there. Simon only deals with cats, rabbits, guinea pigs and other rodents so is therefore very experienced. He is the vet that Rabbit and Guinea Pig Welfare use.

great.....................any info would be good, what i need to work out as well is , is bubbles a satin, i don't think so but she has always had a glossy coat.

thank you all so much.

my vets are good but i don't feel they are a 100% sure it's bubbles teeth and i just don't want to risk putting her under unless they are sure.

Can you try and post more photos? I think that an x-ray might be your best bet (I can't remember if you said you'd had one or not) as this can detect problems with bones (if she's a satin) and problems with her teeth can also be picked up on x-ray.

I think another tip might be to keep your threads on Bubbles all together as it's difficult to keep track of the advice people have given if it's across several different threads.

Hi Tawny, an x-ray will 'only' diagnose whether or not Bubbles has Osteodystrophy (related to Satins ), there is no cure you can only treat symptomatically. Poorly Satinised guineas will not show up well in pigtures and older guineas lose their satinisation sometimes- so, you may have a Satin and not know it ::) One of my purebred Satin's Mum only has a Satinised foot... I have a very poorly satinised rescue here at the moment too.
*just going to see if you have posted pigtures...*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back