Dominant Boar Taunting / Trying To "nip" Smaller Pig? Will He Calm Down?

Zelsi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have posted a couple of times before about my bonded boar pair Monty and Simba.

Monty is dominant and 2.5 years old, Simba is 1 year old. They have been living together since November 24th 2017.

My worry is Monty. He seems to be incredibly aggressive towards Simba. He does this thing where he puts his mouth right next to Simba's as if taunting him and occasionally nips him / causes Simba to squeal and run. This is not a nose-off.

Despite this he eats with Simba and sleeps right next to him with no issues. It's just this negative behaviour. Now I don't know if it's because they've only been bonded for just over a month or if it's due to Simba's hormones (he is a teenager). From what I can tell Simba is not instigating this, he is very passive and incredibly submissive.

I would hate to separate them because they seem close sometimes but at other times Monty is incredibly aggressive. Also he is worse if someone strokes either of the pigs, it seems to set him off more, so we try to avoid that.

I will be getting them a larger cage but right now they have a very bland cage (which is still big) with just 2 of everything to avoid any arguing over toys.

Does any one have any advice or experience of this?

Update - please ignore this thread, I've separated them and posted about that in a different thread since the situation has changed. :(

That's a shame! Sounded pretty normal to me :(

Sorry here's a link to the thread:

I Separated My Boars - What Next?

I've explained it all there, I needed more advice about separation so I thought I would split it.

Essentially separated because Monty bit Simba once last month (drawing blood), and now I've found patches of hair a bit thin with scratches / nips underneath.

Back