Dominance upset?

Ramia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed when I take my submissive Chesney out for lap time, when I put him back in the cage Stripe humps him and rumbles more. Is it because he smells like me? It usually ends with Stripe nibbling Chesney's ears, but can look a bit rough for a few minutes.

There are two points here.

You must respect their hierarchy and never do anything for chesney first. It is stripe’s right as dominant to have everything done for him first. If you disrespect the hierarchy stripe will feel the need to reinforce it.

Also separating them, particularly as a new bond, isn’t a good idea - it’s best to always get them out together

I can't have them both on my lap at the same time, but I can put one in a basket while he waits his turn if you think that would help.

There are two points here.

You must respect their hierarchy and never do anything for chesney first. It is stripe’s right as dominant to have everything done for him first. If you disrespect the hierarchy stripe will feel the need to reinforce it.

Also separating them, particularly as a new bond, isn’t a good idea - it’s best to always get them out together
Gotcha. So I should put them both in the basket and have Stripe on my lap first, then Chesney. Who should I put back in the cage first?

Any time you separate - they’re young teen, hormonal, boars - you can cause this kind of reassertion of dominance.

If I couldn’t hold my pair together, then I’d not do lap time - instead I’d sit in the cage (if you have a big enough cage) or have floor time in a safe space so they can either both be with me or just go about their business and only come to me if they want to.
I don’t even take my pairs to their run separately. They walk into the same carrier (piggy train style with the dominant in the lead) together and then walk out together at the other end!

You do need to be able to handle them (and do so respecting the hierarchy) but you don’t want to upset them when they’re hormonal as it can make things tense between them.

I always give Stripe his veggies first. I kind of instinctively knew to do that. But I didn't know about lap time, so thanks.

Chesney, the submissive one, has been bugging Stripe by going up behind him and biting his butt. It might be barbering. Sometimes Stripe just shakes it off, but he doesn't really like it.

Any idea why?

Barbering is actually eating hair. Just going up and nipping at him is not likely to be barbering.

Nipping - letting the other feel the teeth without biting - is a gesture of power.

I can't tell if he's nipping or just smelling.

But they seem to have settled down this morning. Just some occasional rumbling but Chez always backs down. Chez is popcorning and Stripe is lounging eating hay.

I won't separate them again.

Would you suggest doing health checks on cage cleaning days? That way they are both out of the cage in the laundry basket together and I can give them a quick look before putting them back in.

I can't tell if he's nipping or just smelling.

But they seem to have settled down this morning. Just some occasional rumbling but Chez always backs down. Chez is popcorning and Stripe is lounging eating hay.

I won't separate them again.

Would you suggest doing health checks on cage cleaning days? That way they are both out of the cage in the laundry basket together and I can give them a quick look before putting them back in.

Do what will work best for you!

Back