Dominance issues with 3 females

Mystique

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 3 female pigs who tolerate each other and sleep near one another but will not hesitate to show dominant behaviour when close (head bopping, shoving and sometimes rumble stepping) I have been wondering whether adding a neutered male would benefit this or make it worse? Would a male always become the “leader” amongst females even if they are feisty?

Welcome to the forum

Normal dominance is, well, normal. It does not mean they are only tolerating each other.

How big is their cage?

No a male is not always dominant of the whole group. A boar is not part of sow hierarchy so there will always be a leader amongst the sows. The boar then slots in - he might be leader of the while group or he may be at the bottom.
In any case adding a boar will never change the bond between the sows - if sows don’t get on now, they won’t get on by adding a boar

Welcome to the forum

Normal dominance is, well, normal. It does not mean they are only tolerating each other.

How big is their cage?

No a male is not always dominant of the whole group. A boar is not part of sow hierarchy so there will always be a leader amongst the sows. The boar then slots in - he might be leader of the while group or he may be at the bottom.
In any case adding a boar will never change the bond between the sows - if sows don’t get on now, they won’t get on by adding a boar
Thank you, their cage is above the minimum required space. I’ve recently removed all one entrance hides since I found the youngest was getting trapped in them from the others. An issue is that they never groom each other which I’m not sure is a problem amongst them.

Thank you, their cage is above the minimum required space. I’ve recently removed all one entrance hides since I found the youngest was getting trapped in them from the others. An issue is that they never groom each other which I’m not sure is a problem amongst them.

It’s good it’s above minimum but is it big enough for three?
Not grooming each other is not a problem - my pair doesn’t groom each other. Piggies are not always terribly affectionate with this kind of thing. It does not mean they don’t like each other.

It’s good it’s above minimum but is it big enough for three?
Not grooming each other is not a problem - my pair doesn’t groom each other. Piggies are not always terribly affectionate with this kind of thing. It does not mean they don’t like each other.
It’s a 2x7 C&C cage with a loft. I’m glad that lack of grooming dosent mean that they dislike each other. I’ve been worrying about that 😂

It’s a 2x7 C&C cage with a loft. I’m glad that lack of grooming dosent mean that they dislike each other. I’ve been worrying about that 😂

That’s all perfect! A 2x7 is an excellent size for three - not only is it beyond minimum, it’s also beyond recommended. (Lofts don’t count towards cage space)

How long have they been together?

That’s all perfect! A 2x7 is an excellent size for three - not only is it beyond minimum, it’s also beyond recommended. (Lofts don’t count towards cage space)

How long have they been together?
The eldest 2 have been together for 1 year and a half ish. The youngest was introduced 4 weeks ago.

The eldest 2 have been together for 1 year and a half ish. The youngest was introduced 4 weeks ago.

So they will have just come out of a period of re-establishing their relationship. When you added the youngest one if would have sent them all into two weeks of sorting out their relationship. From what you have said about their behaviours, there is nothing of huge concern. Dont worry!

Back