Dominance behaviour or bullying?

Dizzylizzy03

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Another post from the newbie! My boys (1yr old) have been together since birth and its quite clear eho is the dominant pig, there is plenty of dominance behaviour on display, but when do you know its turned to bullying? Ive noticed occasionally Merry will chase Pippin around the cage or will see Pippin is eating something nice and will go and take it from him? Is it obvious when it becomes bullying?
Thank you!

Another post from the newbie! My boys (1yr old) have been together since birth and its quite clear eho is the dominant pig, there is plenty of dominance behaviour on display, but when do you know its turned to bullying? Ive noticed occasionally Merry will chase Pippin around the cage or will see Pippin is eating something nice and will go and take it from him? Is it obvious when it becomes bullying?
Thank you!

Hi, this sounds to me like normal boss pig behaviour. I think violence such as fighting is when bullying comes into play.

Bullying is sustained behaviour which can see the underpig lose weight through not being allowed to eat, constantly chased away from food, be continually chased And never allowed to rest.
This will result in with the underpig being withdrawn and depressed or get fed up and will fight back.
What you are seeing is most likely normal behaviour. The dominant pig will chase the submissive to maintain their position and taking food from each other is also normal.

Please remember that with a boar pair they need a large cage and two of everything to make sure that both pigs can access a hide, water, food etc.
Could you post a photo of your cage set up maybe?

Back