dog wee on grass

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
is it safe to give the girls grass that dogs have been on as long as its washed? or shall we wait for it to rain? advice appreciated! its not our garden so can’t section a bit off and the owners had dogs visiting yesterday - was thinking about hosing a section down and picking it from there today? or shall we wait for it to dry and pick tomorrow?

I am intrigued as to where this novel idea of poisonous urine originated from! I have seen it mentioned before on here, and though I understand that people have their own beliefs and superstitions about their animal care, this one is unusual!

If urine was poisonous we would all be in trouble, if you think about what comes out of our taps! While I agree about the risk of infection between dogs and other species via sniffing urine etc, especially nowadays with the huge influx of tens of thousands of foreign dogs coming into the country via import dealers, many of whom manage to avoid even basic health checks, resulting in the awful problem of canine brucellosis and such like that we have now got, the comments I have seen suggest that there is an idea that there is something different about canine urine itself that makes it poisonous!

While I would agree wholeheartedly with being careful where grass is picked from, mostly because of the risk from weed killers etc, I do find this obsession with dogs' urine very strange.

My guinea pigs have shared their grass with multiple dogs, horses, sheep, you name it, but consistently always with the dogs, for decades. They eat more grass than anything else. I can assure you this does not seem to prevent them living long healthy lives so why this almost cult like obsession?
Where did it come from?

wow really! not even after a couple of days of rain?
It is entirely up to you, but my personal theory is it really should be possible to find dog pee free grass somewhere - even in urban areas.

The problem is that once one dog had peed in an area it attracts others, including foxes, so even after rain the grass may have been recently used by other dogs.
So unless you can watch the area 24/7 you have no real way of knowing if it's safe or not.

I am intrigued as to where this novel idea of poisonous urine originated from! I have seen it mentioned before on here, and though I understand that people have their own beliefs and superstitions about their animal care, this one is unusual!

If urine was poisonous we would all be in trouble, if you think about what comes out of our taps! While I agree about the risk of infection between dogs and other species via sniffing urine etc, especially nowadays with the huge influx of tens of thousands of foreign dogs coming into the country via import dealers, many of whom manage to avoid even basic health checks, resulting in the awful problem of canine brucellosis and such like that we have now got, the comments I have seen suggest that there is an idea that there is something different about canine urine itself that makes it poisonous!

While I would agree wholeheartedly with being careful where grass is picked from, mostly because of the risk from weed killers etc, I do find this obsession with dogs' urine very strange.

My guinea pigs have shared their grass with multiple dogs, horses, sheep, you name it, but consistently always with the dogs, for decades. They eat more grass than anything else. I can assure you this does not seem to prevent them living long healthy lives so why this almost cult like obsession?
Where did it come from?

yes to be honest i’ve never actually found any actual hard evidence of this, just have been informed by a very knowledgeable guinea owner in this group. my old girls shared a garden with our dog and i didn’t even think at the time about it.. we never had any problems and he used to his leg all over the pen in the garden! i would just never forgive myself if anything bad did happen..

For me it's a common sense issue - I don't want dog pee on my dinner, so why should I serve someone else food covered in dog pee? That's a personal gut feel though, I'll let others comment on any specifics/research.

yep i completely understand this!

It is entirely up to you, but my personal theory is it really should be possible to find dog pee free grass somewhere - even in urban areas.

The problem is that once one dog had peed in an area it attracts others, including foxes, so even after rain the grass may have been recently used by other dogs.
So unless you can watch the area 24/7 you have no real way of knowing if it's safe or not.

i don’t know where i would get any round here apart from the garden! id be worried about car fumes etc and not knowing if the grass had been treated etc, hence why i keep to the garden!

that makes sense, no other dogs could possibly get to it (back garden) but there are foxes and cats like you say.. we have put up a pen in the garden and hopefully after lots of rain it will be okay to use!

Where did it come from?

here is what my boyfriend got back from an AI bot! probably worth checking the sources out!

Attachments

• IMG_1313.webp
    IMG_1313.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 28
At the current stage of AI, I wouldn't trust anything a bot tells you, they absolutely just make stuff up. They can be very fun but they're not reliable.

At the current stage of AI, I wouldn't trust anything a bot tells you, they absolutely just make stuff up. They can be very fun but they're not reliable.
we are very apprehensive around AI too, it was our first time using it! i wouldn’t have posted it if it hadn’t send over sources though, so would be interested to see what the sources say (i haven’t looked myself yet!)

Sorry I have to laugh at the comment about what comes out of our taps. There is a huge difference between treated water that is being made safe for human consumption and drinking dogs wee!
I always went with the "if in doubt, leave it out" attitude. If I couldn't find a reliable source to give a definitive answer then why would I risk it? And as Poggle said, I'm definitely not wanting dog wee on my food so wouldn't serve it to others either.

You could always grow some grass in a pot if you were wary and wanted to ensure grass that is safe to feed to the piggies

This one quotes it’s sources tho
You would need to find the exact source the AI used to be sure though. I read a piece the other day where an academic using AI contacted a fellow academic about a statement (somewhat controversial) AI had attributed to him, with sources. The guy had never said it, the source article the AI "quoted" didn't exist, and the AI had placed him at the wrong uni...

Yes, AI bots will absolutely invent fake sources!

On the original question, do you know if the dogs are male or female? Male dogs don't tend to wee just in the middle of a flat area, they want something to wee against. Female dogs will wee wherever, but you'll know about it fairly soon, as their wee tends to burn the grass and leave a brown patch.

Also to add a good trick I saw on a YouTube video about foraging: if you know someone with a dog you can borrow, let the dog sniff the bit of grass you're thinking of using. If it is interested, the grass has been weed on. If it shows no interest, it hasn't.

My male dog will squat to pee and raise his leg ! It depends what he wants to do 😂

is it safe to give the girls grass that dogs have been on as long as its washed? or shall we wait for it to rain? advice appreciated! its not our garden so can’t section a bit off and the owners had dogs visiting yesterday - was thinking about hosing a section down and picking it from there today? or shall we wait for it to dry and pick tomorrow?
I have two dogs and two Guinea pigs we take the guineas elsewhere cos the dogs have peed on the grass

Back